heated screen

PITBULL

Does a heated screen need to be on a timer as i am thinking about fitting one but as far as I'm aware ff heated front windscreens turn themselves off after so long but rears don't I'm thinking this is because the strips in windscreens are very thin and if left on will burn out is this correct if so how do i make it switch off by itself with a mom-off switch??

I'm thinking i need some sort of timer relay or something but i haven't got a clue about auto electrics just trying to use some common sense which don't happen often :P

dose a heated screen need to be on a timer as i am thinking about fitting one but as far as I'm aware ff heated front windscreens turn themselves off after so long but rears don't im thinking this is because the strips in windscreens are very thin and if left on will burn out is this correct if so how do i make it switch off by itself with a mom-off switch??

I'm thinking i need some sort of timer relay or something but i haven't got a clue about auto electrics just trying to use some common sense which don't happen often :P

yes thay are on a timer i had one on my granada estate brilliant 20 secs and the screen was clean, but do thay affect sat nav receiving a good signal. chris

That I don't know....

I've had myheated screen longer than I've had my Defender.

I have the push switches fitted. The timer relays in a box somewhere and my heated screen in a garage in Middlesbrough.....

As for the GPS. I have a 276C mounted where the interior mirror should be. I've made an aerial extension cable and fitted the aerial in the Alpine light.

mike

That I don't know....

I've had myheated screen longer than I've had my Defender.

I have the push switches fitted. The timer relays in a box somewhere and my heated screen in a garage in Middlesbrough.....

As for the GPS. I have a 276C mounted where the interior mirror should be. I've made an aerial extension cable and fitted the aerial in the Alpine light.

mike

if you have an external aerial i dont think its a prob someone will be along soon with a proper answer . chris

Heated screens are usually on a timer, not least because they draw upwards of 50 Amps from the alternator so leaving it on all the time would put strain on the battery & electricals. The wires in the screen are very thin so it's entirely possible they have a limited lifespan and could overheat.

When I bought my aftermarket heated screen I asked if it needed to be on a timer and was told no, although it was Devon 4x4 and TBH they didn't seem to have a clue if that just meant you had to remember to switch it off manually or if it was OK to run it non-stop :rolleyes:

My screen severely knocks down the GPS reception indoors although the GPS can just about see through it, I use an external receiver on the laptop so no issues there.