A frame help please

discomikey

at most it will go around 5 miles up a country road

and very rarely at that, i am told that this is legal and that it is soon going to be illegal to tow by rope, and this is the alternative suggested by the law.

you may be able to correct me.

mikey

i have done some research and the wbsite says that it is legal to tow by a frame if the vehicle is behind,

so if it has someone to operate the brakes in the drivers seat (do not have to have a driving liscence) then it is legal.

cheers

mikey

i have done some research and the wbsite says that it is legal to tow by a frame if the vehicle is behind,

so if it has someone to operate the brakes in the drivers seat (do not have to have a driving liscence) then it is legal.

cheers

mikey

Actually, you might be right, you quite often see cars being towed behind motor homes, small cars though, might be different with something as heavy as a disco.......

just found this, you might wanna have a read.....

http://www.ukmotorhomes.net/a-frames.shtml

at most it will go around 5 miles up a country road

and very rarely at that, i am told that this is legal and that it is soon going to be illegal to tow by rope, and this is the alternative suggested by the law.

you may be able to correct me.

mikey

I think you'll find that dollies are only legal for the recovery of a broken down vehicle and even then you'd have to bend the rules a little. It's classed as a trailer and a heavy one at that so it must have working brakes which are operated by either the main vehicles brakes or an overrun braking system.

The ones behind motorhomes are nearly always illegal but there are some little cars which come under 750kg which are legal. I think there is a system available to operate brakes as well which again is sketchy on the law.

I think the only 'legal' way to do it is with a trailer.

But... then again it's only 5 miles up a country lane, you make your choices and take your chances but don't be under the impression it's legal.

Where abouts in longcliffe are you - I know a few people from there and it isn't very big! Infact I built my first Land Rover in Longcliffe

A frame legallity (sp) has been discussed at great lengths on many forums. They are legal for recovery of a vehicle only, and then short distance work ie to a point of repair, removal to a safe place off highway etc...don't think towing 100 miles up the motorway would be legal though.

The AA and RAC both use them for this kind of work, as it quite often saves having to call out a wagon.

However, as has already been mentioned, to tow it as a trailer if over 750kgs it needs to have coupled brakes.

Not heard anything about ropes, other than they are for emergency use only, as in cannot move it any other way.

Where abouts in longcliffe are you - I know a few people from there and it isn't very big! Infact I built my first Land Rover in Longcliffe

i live on the first farm you see to the right when you head to ashbourne.

next door to roger lambert. my dad is called David Brown nad the farm is called Hoe Grange Farm

where did you build your landy? whos yard, workshop?

what does it look like because i may have seen it

cheers

mikey