RR Brakes

olioffroadking

hi can anybody help me

the brakes on my 1973 rangie are stuck on..

the problem started with a hissing noise from above the brake pedal whenever the brakes were applied, and the pedal now refuses to go more then 2cm down. i have checked and there are no visible oil leaks, does it sound like its drawing air in from somewhere?

i was going to bleed them this weekend but thought id better ask you guys incase id be wasting my time

any ideas?

thanks oli

More info reqd.

You say they are stuck on...is this all wheels?

Is this with or without the engine running?

I assume it has a servo (which will be where the hissing is coming from).

Press the pedal several times to dissipate any vacuum in the servo. Hold the pedal down, not overlie hard, then start the engine. Did the pedal pull down as the vacuum built in the servo?

If the brakes are in deed stuck on then it is not a brake bleeding issue. What normally happens is the pedal may not be returning fully which prevents the piston in the master cylinder from coming back past a vent hole which allows the fluid back into the reservoir.

A quick check is to make sure something like the carpet or a loose floor mat is not jammed up in the brake pedal. You coul;d try pulling the pedal up by hand and see if that will release them.

Some systems have an adjustment in the pushrod system through the servo. It is highly unlikely this will have moved or changed but could be the wrong adjustment if something like the servo or master cylinder have recently been removed or changed.

Final thought is that the rubbers may be perished in the master cylinder or the vacuum valve in the servo is stuck.

Steve

erm yes the brakes are stuck on with the engine running and without. i recently removed the wheels to put some new ones on and yer they are stuck on all four corners, and whenever i push the brakes down they are rock hard

i have just tried and there seems to be no movement in the brake pedal when the engine is started, and there was also no hissing when i just tried :(

i have owned the vehicle for 2 years nowand the brakes have only started to do this a few months ago,

the brake pedal is also returning normally

any chance that pushing the pistons back manually would cure this? (with pleanty of wd40), is there a chance that these may be seized? , i am 16 and only use the vehicle occasionally for offroading so alot of the time the vehicle is sat in the yard

hope this helps

thanks

Are you sure it's not the handbrake. The handbrake shoes can seize to the drum and will lock all four wheels. I never leave mine with the handbrake on for long periods to help prevent this from happening. If it's the handbrake you can usaually just drive it free.

Are you sure it's not the handbrake. The handbrake shoes can seize to the drum and will lock all four wheels. I never leave mine with the handbrake on for long periods to help prevent this from happening. If it's the handbrake you can usaually just drive it free.

the handbrake drum is a completely seperate system and therefore wouldnt affect the brake pedal, it sounds to me like the pistons might be siezed,

i know what oli is trying to say because i drove it the other day and they are rock solid, ineffective and you have a job to stop in time.

mikey

• 4 weeks later...
the handbrake drum is a completely seperate system and therefore wouldnt affect the brake pedal, it sounds to me like the pistons might be siezed,

i know what oli is trying to say because i drove it the other day and they are rock solid, ineffective and you have a job to stop in time.

mikey

yep ive got to push the pistons out fully then using some emery cloth rub them down, fit sum new pads and they should be fine, cheers everyone

oli