Spongy brakes

hi,

ive been renovating a defender 90 recently, when i got it, the brake pedel travelled to the floor with hardly any braking but i thought it was because it was lying for a while so pistons etc would have seized. so ive changed caliper pistons, pads, discs, shoes, cylinders and bled it all but the pedel still travels to the floor!! is it the master cylinder at fault??

cheers

donnie

If you cant get anymore air out of the system,then i would suspect the master cylinder is the culprit.

But.....then again,it has taken me a few attempts in the past to get a decent pedal so have another go at bleeding,starting at the master cylinder(crack off pipes one at a time and check that its actually pushing some fluid out!)and then from wheel furthest away from the master cylinder etc etc

If you cant get anymore air out of the system,then i would suspect the master cylinder is the culprit.

But.....then again,it has taken me a few attempts in the past to get a decent pedal so have another go at bleeding,starting at the master cylinder(crack off pipes one at a time and check that its actually pushing some fluid out!)and then from wheel furthest away from the master cylinder etc etc

If its drums on the rear are they properly adjusted? This has caused me some braking problems in the past - ecessive travel at pedal. IIRC it is also possible to fit the shoes wrong way around. I think theres a leading edge and trailing edge but not 100% sure.

Mark