300 Tdi EDC Problems?

keithjh

Hi All,

Any advice comments on the below greatly appreciated.

Vehicle is a 300 TDi Disco with the dreaded EDC system, anyway its the wifes daily motor i drive it occasionally. Over the last few weeks it had starting problems which have now been sorted out, after fitting new starter and sorting out the earths, it now starts fine. Took it out yeasterday for a longish run no problems until i want to get it past 70mph, it just gets to 72 then will not get any more out of it, used to be fine sit all day at 75-80 on the motorway but not any more.

Anyway a new OEM lift pump fitted and the tank sender renewed this morning as the pipes were pretty bad (thinking pin hole drawing air), no diffrerence,

does not smoke or run rough at tickover so not suspecting injectors.

So whats left other than injector pump, or air flow meter (but how the hell do i test that?)

All suggestions ideas gratefully accepted, as i`m off to Bosnia in Feb and need to get it sorted

Regards

Keith

I'd look at the Sedimentor, as James says - They're often forgotten about for years. Don't undo the drain though - drop the whole bowl off by undoing the 11mm nut on top.

When I had Fuel Starvation on mine I got lots of white smoke. That was from a clogged lift pump.

It should easily go over 100mph, but I think it requires kickdown, just wondering if your kickdown system has got messed up?

Does it kickdown for overtaking still? Maybe the cable just needs setting up? Just trying to think of any possibilities

I'd look at the Sedimentor, as James says - They're often forgotten about for years. Don't undo the drain though - drop the whole bowl off by undoing the 11mm nut on top.

When I had Fuel Starvation on mine I got lots of white smoke. That was from a clogged lift pump.

It should easily go over 100mph, but I think it requires kickdown, just wondering if your kickdown system has got messed up?

Does it kickdown for overtaking still? Maybe the cable just needs setting up? Just trying to think of any possibilities

All filters are new cleaned out sedimenter about 2 years ago, will do it in the morning

Kickdown works fine no problems their

Keith

Cleaned out the sedimentor bowl , had some carp in but not much, still no difference any other ideas

Keith

So does it perform fine up to 72mph? As in not sluggish at all?

I believe from reading someone elses post that the MAF can be disconnected temporarily and that the ECU then uses a default value, so you could try that - have a search of the disco forum first just to check.

Can you feel all the gears engaging? From memory you should feel, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th then a final change as it locks - maybe your not getting that final locking? I think it's a kind of viscous lock.

Other than that does it really matter? It's not legal to drive above 70mph in this country anyway and I'm sure Bosnia has a max speed of about 50mph? <_<