Front Seat Belt

westonben

The old seat belt wasn't retracting properly so I bought a new one to replace. The problem is the new one seems to be locked somehow and I can't figure out how to retract the belt.

The old one is now out of the car but that is also locked! Maybe I'm missing something simple, but I stuck at present. Any ideas greatfully recieved.

Thanks

Ben

it all depends on the angle, as they are inertia driven (most are anyway), so it may be that the angle is just that little bit off.

mine has a habit of locking up completely, and not being able to pull it out to put it on (oo-er). give it a good tug and it does work though.

They have an attitude (both pitch and roll) sensitive locking device on them for the event the car rolls - the belt will stay locked keeping you in your seat - its nothing more complicated than a lead weight on a swivelling rod but unless the belt is in the correct operating range it locks up solid.

I had this once years ago on my RR the belt locked in the full out position, so I took the belt reel apart and released the mech in side.

I put this down to wear so your new one should not lock up.

Ref stageonesimmo info above perhaps you can free it by giving the reel a shake and pulling at the same time.