New Tyres

Bigant

Hi Guys

It's time to chnage the tyres on our Disco 1, currently we have a mixture of Goodyear and Nexan all in size 235/70/16.

The vehicle spends 70% of its time on the road ferrying the little monsters around, we do tow a caravan three or four times a year and we do like a little gentle off roading, when it is available.

I need to replace all 5 so the cost of BFG AT's is prohibitive although these would be my first choice.

Can anyone recommend a brand/model of tyre and can I upsize slightly whilst keeping the original alloys?

Obviously, I need to have the tyres fitted, I live on the Surrey Sussex border so if anyone can recommend a good supplier/fitting service that would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers for now

Bigant

My last 3 Discos all ended up shod with 235/70/16 Colway A/T. Superb grip on road and great off road, good in the snow too.

Set of 4; £156.

The Disco i'm not sure whether to put the same on, whether to chop the arches and fit 35" simex and build a fun toy or sell it.

My last 3 Discos all ended up shod with 235/70/16 Colway A/T. Superb grip on road and great off road, good in the snow too.

Set of 4; £156.

The Disco i'm not sure whether to put the same on, whether to chop the arches and fit 35" simex and build a fun toy or sell it.

Hi Dunc

I have been more than happy with remoulds in the past and I was looking at the new Insa turbo track remoulds but the wife has this thing about "recycled tyres" not being safe! I will push the cost advantage and see if I can pursuade her.

Regards

Bigant

It's time to change the tyres on our Disco 1, currently we have a mixture of Goodyear and Nexan all in size 235/70/16.

Can anyone recommend a brand/model of tyre and can I up size slightly whilst keeping the original alloys?

Bigant

Bigant,

My Discovery 1 300 Tdi has the white LR steel rims. When I bought the Discovery she had Bridgestone Dueler ATs 205/80/16. The previous owner newer rotated so I ended up with the rears having a slightly lesser diameter than the fronts. This bugged me, but the thread depth was still good, so I stuck with them.

End last year I was offered 4 Dunlop SP TrackGrip 245/70/16 for R 1000.00. They where virtually new. He had them on his Jeep Grand Cherokee, and when the diff started humming the stealers blamed the Dunlops. He bought 4 new Michelins, and, yes, the diff hummed.....He sold the Jeep and bought a Toyota Fortuner. The rim sizes differed, so I got a bargain.

The 245/70/16s works very well, no wheel arch mods required, the LR steel rims on my Disco are 7J, and the Dunlop specs are fine with a 7j.

The vibrations are gone on the transfer box, she handles better, looks good, so this is my penny's worth. I think the alloys can actually take wider than 245's, but then the wheel arches are in jeopardy when axle twisters strikes.

I've just collected some 16" steels and have a similar dilema. BFG's are great, no doubt about it. But teh are expensive. I have also been considering the Colways, but as we do a lot of long journeys on motorways I'm reluctant to go with a remould.

Anyone using using Kuhmo KL71's? I've been told they are like the BFG AT's on teh road, but like the BFG MT's off it? And at £70 a corner a bit better priced.

I have also been considering the Colways, but as we do a lot of long journeys on motorways I'm reluctant to go with a remould.

As far as i'm aware they're built to the same standards as a new tyre with the only bit being reused is the carcass. The tread over the top is the same as a new tyre.

We've been up and down the motorway at 90mph+ more times than i care to remember. Let's not forget that pretty much every wagon and bus on the motorway is running on remoulds.

Modern remoulds are a world apart from what they used to be.

As far as i'm aware they're built to the same standards as a new tyre with the only bit being reused is the carcass. The tread over the top is the same as a new tyre.

We've been up and down the motorway at 90mph+ more times than i care to remember. Let's not forget that pretty much every wagon and bus on the motorway is running on remoulds.

Modern remoulds are a world apart from what they used to be.

Colway tyres were based just down the road from me and from what I can tell they are no longer operating :unsure:

I had a set of Cooper ATR's (235/70 16 ) put on my Disco 1 about 18 months ago and have been very pleased. Excellent manners on road including the odd motorway trip and enough grip for greenlaning in a standard Disco.

Definate improvement over the odds and sods that I used for the first year I owned it.

Jules