Help Help Spider Missing

TAZA

Just gone to all the trouble of removing the center dashboard to get at the spider, and its not there, Mine is a 1997 disco 2.5 TDi manual.

Followed the instruction from the link below.

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=86

I have all the symptoms as described in the post so I went for the spider option repair.Just spent the last two hours freezing my nuts off, absolutely gutted.

Help Help

Cheers

Taza

Does it have an alarm system? Vehicles fitted with the standard two-button alarm system (i.e. most vehicles) should all have the spider unit, but some basic export spec vehicles are built with just key-operated central locking, no alarm or immobiliser, and those vehicles don't have one as it is part of the immobiliser which isn't fitted, my father has a vehicle like this.

I've never pulled one to bits but I suspect they probably have the bypass plug fitted as detailed in the spider post, so you should have found either that or the spider?

If you have an alarm system but neither spider nor bypass are there, nor any of the wiring, I haven't a clue I am afraid.

What is your problem - is it cranking or cutting out? One option would be to run a new wire for the affected circuit direct from the ignition to the relevant item then you won't have to spend a week picking the wiring harness to bits.

Hi Guys

My DiscO is a 1997 TDI 2.5 MANUAL,

This is the problem.

Start Engine from cold starts ok, go for a run engine now warm.

Stop and switch engine off.

Try and start engine, engine turns over but won't start.

Wait 5 minutes engine turns over and starts.

In summer I have to wait longer.

When starting from cold

Switch engine on starts ok

Switch engine off (still cold)

Switch engine on start ok.

Its only when the engine has warm up ?????????????

Someone on another site said I have no spider on mine as I have the DDS imobolization fitted

to mine.

Vehicles fitted with the standard two-button alarm system (i.e. most vehicles) should all have the spider unit

Some later 300TDi's don't have a spider unit although they still have a full alarm and immobiliser. It works through the alarm control unit and a seperate diesel immobilisation unit (DDS) rather than a spider.

As BM asks, what are your symptoms?

I thought only the autos had the EDC engine (which doesn't have the spider) but perhaps not then. It would explain its absence :)

It also means there are a whole load more ways for it to go wrong like anything with lots of electrickery in it :(

Mine wouldn't start when it was warm when I first got it. Not 100% sure what fixed it but I think it was the Glow Plug Relay - Just can't put a reason to it. I removed the relay and cleaned all the green off the contacts, replaced the relay - had a poke around the engine bay looking for anything else, then it started (which it probably would have done as it had been a few minutes) - but then after that I never had the problem again.

The system that Disco_Sev mentions above is (I think) different to the EDC system. I have the little black box on top of the stop solonoid on some vehicles called the DDS - Digital Diesel Stop or something like that - it was aimed at stopping people just running a 12v wire across to bypass the immobiliser. Maybe Discos with this system on didn't have the Spider?

TAZA - Take a look at your Fuel Injection Pump, towards the back of it you should see the stop solonoid - it screwed in with a 24mm hex body. Does this have a black box on top? or does it just have a single wire going to a thread on top?

That DDS unit has three wires going into it instead of the more normal one. With brute force and ignorance it is possible to get rid of the plastic thing and then it is just trial and error to find the correct wire to use. I normally get rid of the thing along with the EGR stuff on the pump.