3.9 fault

stevegibbs

Hi, on my 3.9i 1994 Disco (lpg & petrol) every now and then it will lose all but a smidge of power if you feather the throttle you can just about coast it along to find a place to stop. Switching to or from lpg/petrol makes no difference giving it more throttle will kill it, so i,am thinking it fuel related. But once I stop turn the ignition off then back on and start all is well again until the next time. It is like something needs resetting maybe a relay or even the ecu. Any ideas?

Steve

My starter is a simple one, have you checked that all the connections on top of the coil are clean and tight.

I have been trying to isolate this problem for a while by a process of elimination, so far, plugs, leads, rotor arm, cap, airflow meter, ecu. coil, fuel pump, some of the relays, cleaned all connectors, had it on test equipment but finds nothing as its running sweat then out of the blue no power on gas or petrol. Stop the engine restart and all is well until the next time.

Steve

OK, so that more than likely means any glitches from the EFI side will propagate across to the LPG side which means that fault finding avenue is a cul-de-sac.

I think you can see my frustration with this, 99% of the time the motor is perfect on both LPG & petrol with good performance and acceptable economy then the misfire lets the whole thing down and you feel concerned about using it. I have thought about removing the LPG kit and using it for a while to see if the problem occurs then. But at 15mpg I could soon run up a bill that could be better spent on replacing the problem part, if I knew what is was.

As with every other V8 fault, start with the Hotwire EFI diagnostics manual in the tech archive and work through it methodically and report back anything you find. Just randomly changing things is expensive and often one thing can mask a fault with another.