Greenlaning in Wales

Drizz

I hope you dont mind if I join in with the request here Drizz.

I've volunteered to plan a bit of a wales trip for my mates in the spring. I have a caravan in Porthmadog so will use it as an overnight base hopefully.

I'd like to do Strata Florida, Gap and Happy Valley if they are driveable and work my way from mid back to north wales, stay over, then do some north wales stuff hopefully around snowdonia, then head for home.

Any advice, maps, routes or coordinates would be much appreciated. We have access to paper maps, online OS with GPS while mobile and sat navs.

Stu.

I'd be coming from wigan, so my choice of route is M56, M53, then via corwen, bala to PortM, I like to stay off the A55. But we are more than willing to travel on to mid wales to do SF etc.

To be honest, we'll go any direction/distance for some quality lanes. I hoped to use my caravan as an overnight stop but if its not near any of the routes, what we save in board we spend in diesel.

Stu.

TBH leave the van at home other wise you will be doing lots of miles back to it each night. You could start from Chirk (not far from me) heading north into Wales. North with lots of lanes including the north of Sarn Helen.

Do any of you have memory map? If you do work out a route and email it to me and I will add/take away routes along the way. There is not many UCRs or BOATs that you can not use in north wales, but some are covered in tarmac.

Paul

Thanks Paul, I'll look into memory map, it might be worth us all chipping in.

Stu.

PS. Just checked google maps, you are only an hour away from us, I can do wrexham in 45 mins with a tailwind :)

I'd definately be up for some of your local lanes.

The van is a static :)

As above, we will go wherever the good lanes are. We are coming from Essex so we can adjust our route accordingly....

Do you have the OS map numbers so i can order em?

Best bet is to get the maps for where you want to go. If I give you the map numbers I could end up giving you the lot that cover wales!! Do decide on what area you are aiming for and get those maps. I use the 1-25k maps. So if you get the same it could end up getting 20+ maps and costing £160 :blink: Just leave out the ones for the north coast and the north west of wales. But aim for denbighshire. powys, Gwynedd would do for a start. OL20 and ol18 I think as well.

Paul

Ok mate thanks. As i said i cant plan a route as we dont know where the best lanes are.....

Are you and Stu doing the same route and at the same time? If so let me know where you are planning to start and where you want to finish. Also the date/week your planning to do it. As for a week it would take a few hours to work out, but I could do most if not all of the route for you.

Paul

No mate we nothing to do with each other, just both have the same interest. We dont have a definitive date yet but it will be autumn id have thought. Ill report back once we know dates....

Oh and thanks, i appreciate your assistance!

Good thinking drizz, we really want to be looking for places where we can stop and pitch a tent, then work routes around that i reckon. do you know of many campsites around your area Paul? also any particular places of intrest? can we drive up a mountain? also any lanes that are impassable or closed?

TBH I would say if its a week long route I would pick a campsite around Bala www.tyisafbala.co.uk for a few days and one in Rahyader www.wyesidecamping.co.uk not cheap but very nice. This way you can do north wales then lane down to mid-wales and base your self down there for a few days.

If you have a look about and get the maps or Memory Map I can work out a route for you as its a time away. It will take some time as it its 6-7 days worth of laneing.

Paul

no real help for you but the campsites round bala are good and there are plenty of amenities and things to see and do round there and also there is a pay and play site there.. think its the first sunday of every month but will have to double check... go over there every once in a while to do some laneing with friends but i just follow them as they have them stored on there sat-navs!!