Steering problems

Last month I went to slab with the Shires for Daves birthday bash, The day went very well right untill the end where i hit a root on the left hand side. It stopped me dead, So popped it in reverse and off i went as i was driving along I noticed the steering wheel is upside down.......hmmm, got out and had a look.

Nothing looks anymore bent than usual, I can only get about 1/4 of full lock too the right.......but full lock to the left. There doesnt appear to be any noises coming from the steering that sound suspect. My suspisons are somthings jumped? or the steering box is now dead. Any suggestions would be great.

cheers

Dave.

Usually the link rod gets bent (the steering rod behind the axle). This puts your wheels out of track with each other and usually quite noticeable. The front of the wheels point away from each other (outwards). In rare cases the cast iron arm that is part of the swivel housing gets bent, but the wheels will still be out of line and easily noticeable. If the wheels look ok, then the drop arm should be pointing straight forward if all the underbody steering gear is undamaged and the steering is set in the straight ahead position. You may have bent the drag link rod (from the drop arm to the N/S wheel). Both steering rods should be dead straight. If the drag link is bent, then the wheels will remain straight, but it'll throw the steering wheel out of centre and give the effect you have.

Les.

Thanks guys will get out later this afternoon and take a look again, The wheels are pointing forwards as normal.......The drag link is slightly bent but has been for some time now, the steering rods in question are HD ones.

I will report back later with what i find.

Dave.

Ive been and had a look over it this afternoon. The rod that joins the drop arm to the passenger side swivel is dead straight and the rod that joins both the wheels together is slightly bent upwards.......but its been like that for some time now. The drop arm appears to be facing forwards.

Any more ideas........ I will pop some pics up in a bit.

Dave.

You dont need a 10 tonne press to change it, It is pushed onto a taper shaft, you are able to change it with a bearing puller. When i changed mine i tightened the bearing puller that it was tight then gave it a bit of gental persuasion with a hammer on the center bolt and it popped off.

You dont need a 10 tonne press to change it, It is pushed onto a taper shaft, you are able to change it with a bearing puller. When i changed mine i tightened the bearing puller that it was tight then gave it a bit of gental persuasion with a hammer on the center bolt and it popped off.

Therefore a sales technique by adwest to buy their boxes which come with a new arm fitted.

I fell for it.

Cheers

PD