Noisy rear end (the disco)

Tomas4x4

Hello,

My disco seems to be making a lot and thuding and banging from the rear end when going over rough roads or pot holes. It made a hell of a lot more noise when the door latch was loose, but now thats tightened up its better but the noise sounds like its resonating through the chassis.

Its recently had heavy duty springs fitted and new monroe shockers. Also on closer inspection the bump stops on the chassis are missing, could this be my problem? or do they not make any difference?

Any pointers or suggestions much appreciated, its driving me nuts!

Cheers.

Tom.

My two-penneth: My 300 used to make a nasty knocking and banging which sounded like it was coming from under the floor at the back end. It would happen on uneven road surfaces especially cobbles and the bumps in the road weren't big enough to bring the bump stops into play (I've had one missing for a couple of years anyway). I fiddled around with all kinds of things and even fixed my back door too.

In the end it turned out to be play in the a-frame ball-joint. That a-frame is a big thing to have rattling about under a car I can tell you.

I would replace the bump stops mate,they put them on there for a reason,the reason being the axel hits the chassie and it doesnt sound good.My discovery has HD +2 springs and it still touches the bump stops.

If you're touching bumpstops whilst driving down a normal road your truck has issues :(

G

A frame ball joint

Rear shocker bushes

Trailing link bushes

Body mounts (really bad news...)

As said if you regularly hit the bump stops in normal-ish driving you either need new springs/dampers or need to adjust the connection between the seat and the steering wheel ;)

No it doesnt touch when driving on flat tarmac but when off road it does,I wasnt being stroppy with tom,forgive me if i came across that way.I was just trying to point him in the right direction as one person definition of a rough road is different to anothers,the bump stops are cheap and thats what I would replace first and am I correct in saying that a vehicle without bumpstops is an MOT failure?I could well be wrong and would be the first to admit it I hope for toms sake that im not as its a nice cheap easy fix.The comment I made was from experience as when i fitted my poly bush kit i left them off until i had time to repair the brackets and it made an awful racket and sounded like the chassie was being hit with a huge hammer,it was,the axle.

Thanks for the advice guys, you didn't come across as stroppy Peasy dont worry, its a valid point and im going to be fitting my new bump stops this weekend. At the same time i'll be checking for all the other suggestions, and hopefully it wont be the body mountings as I dont like the sound of that!

Thanks again and I will report back!

Tom.