Dead 200tdi

Yeah I's been thinking something might have been going on there as the oil light came on. But then went off so I thought it would be okay to drive gently to get some help.

yeah i have heard a couple of other poeple it happend to. mainly 300Tdi. yours is a 200 isnt it? they can take more stick then 300s.

well at least you drove it steady.. mum was driving 85mph down the m11 at the time the light come on a carryed on driving the same speed for another 17miles.. got home and wonderd why it wasnt running right lol.. driving that speed wouldnt of helped!

does it make a random knocking noise? like you said metal on metal noise?

You can replace just the camshaft without stripping the engine or removing it from the vehicle. Fitting new bearings and reaming them is why you have to remove and strip it. The bearings are a complete ring and when they are pressed in place, the inner diameter of them is reduced, so they have to be reamed to suit the journal diameter of the camshaft. Wear in the cam bearings is visual in the same way that main and big-end bearings are, so perhaps they will be ok and you might be able to just fit a new cam.

I would reckon one day to remove and strip the engine, then wait for the engineers to fit/ream the cam bearings, then another day to reassemble the engine and re-fit it to the vehicle.

You could save a whole bundle of money if you could do the labour work yourself - I dread to think what a garage would charge to do it for you.

Les.

Yeah I'm dreading that too. Its at the LR garage at the moment as we have no real way of getting it home. They're doing the work at the moment, I'd rather do it myself but dads talking me into letting the garage do it and then maybe helping pay for what I would have done.

More hassle than its worth if you ask me but thats parents for you...

Well, just got an update. Whoever did the cambelt last didn't tighten the blot properly because the cause of the failure was that that bolt had worked loose. Apparently there was metal everywhere in the case but apart from the pushrods that seemed to take most of the damage the rest is in good nick. The oil light came on because the camshaft seal had completely disappeared and the case was full of oil.

On closer inspection of the other side the damage can be seen.

Most the push rods were bent and have been replaced and it should be back on the road tomorrow...

The teeth the arrow shows were damaged in some places but cannot be seen on this side.

post-8612-1233066156_thumb.jpg

On closer inspection of the other side the damage can be seen.

Most the push rods were bent and have been replaced and it should be back on the road tomorrow...

The teeth the arrow shows were damaged in some places but cannot be seen on this side.

mine got chewed at the pulley end like that, my pulley bolt came out, 4 bent pushrods too.the gear bit is for the oil pump/vacuum pump drive shaft.

pistons will be fine mine were slightly marked too

Sounds exactly the same as mine. I'm pretty sure it was 4 rods too. Oil pump seems fine anyway. The engine looks pretty clean and nice for 180K+ miles. Oil channels have been cleaned out and the sump came off which was full of black gunk which has been through the petrol bath to go back on nice and clean.

It was due for its 6000 mile oil change anyway but obviously it never all comes out as it looked like 18 years of build up.

Well I see we have a difference of opinion here then..

Anyway it seems on the putting back together that the turbo hoses, them 3 90 degree ones and the straight one, have collapsed inside so I shall have to invest in some silicone ones sooner than I thought. Having said that they are probably 18 years old.

It runs a little cooler with the new top and bottom hose. Used to sit right on the line of then end of the white but now sits a bit back from it. I'll probably replace the thermostat when the hoses are done just for good measure.

I'm only having a bit of a :rofl: not much you can do about a previous owners bodge job, :rolleyes: good to read it's running well & the temp sounds about right, mine sits just to the left of the vertical, as for the intercooler hoses, mine were all soft & just starting to peel on the inside 7 they were about 14 years old.

so get some gentle mileage on it & give it chance to all settle down & hopefully it will last for years without any more major problems.

Yours sounds quite low compared to mine. How old is your intercooler? Mine is missing a few fins but for the most part is quite good. I guess I'll have to wait and see what its like after the hoses are done, I guess a collapsed hose would have quite a big effect on flow.