Decent EGT gauge

rusty_wingnut

my first proper drive this morning and I appear to have some fairly high EGT's, coming out of a junction i booted the truck in 3rd and she was reading over 1000 degrees F. I think I need to turn the diaphragm back quite a bit!

Still in the safe zone, 1000 degree Fahrenheit = 537.7777778 degree Celsius, 720 or 750 deg c is the limit, switch the gauge to read in deg c, look at the instructions auber provided or go to thier site.

G

true, your on the money but I did turn the fuelling up when I fitted the turbo to compensate for extra boost, it does seem to smoke a bit too much so I will turn it back.

I need to sit down and work out how to program the alarm at 750c. Another thing which is quite "amusing" is when you switch the ignition and wait for the glowplugs you get a reading straight away - the ambient temperature in the manifold! Mine was 20c this morning!

Here in South Africa we have Madman making their EMS2. Could be ordered online at landyonline.co.za

What they do is have the monitor somewhere on the dash. 52x52mm, small and compact, fits snugly on my 1997 Hard top Tdi's empty dash slot. It is a digital monitor, but nothing like those from the movie.

It monitors my coolant temp, EGT, engine oil pressure, transfer box oil temp, battery voltage. Also have a warning system for sudden fluid level drop. DIY fit, quick small and effective. You purchase the monitor and the kit for whatever engine you have. The kit will also have the VDO senders and adapter plates ready made to install. Example is a new tapped cover for the turbo outlet.

Admit it does not look as good as the gauge above, but for multiple function in a small compact appliance it is hands down a winner.

All i did was to unbolt the three bolts that hold the turbo to the manifold, blanked off the turbo inlet and drilled and tapped manifold. I then fired up the engine to blast the swarf out. I checked the manifold was free of swarf, then removed blanking plate and refitted turbo. I fitted the probe with about 10mm of it in the manifold.

Since then I've checked all the feed pipes from the airbox, both pipes from the intercooler and flushed the intercooler, and checked the manifold was sealing onto the head.

The diaphragm linkage seems free enough, but I guess my next move should be to remove the turbo and strip both it's housings and inspect the linkage is free. :(:angry::(

If anyone has any other ideas please post them up, this is something of a crisis with a camping trip this weekend :angry: