back pressure on my disco

robert francis

If it's blowing through the oil filler it is pressurising the crankcase which could be

- Head gasket blown between cylinder and oil gallery

- Piston rings broken or excess blow-by due to cylinder bore wear

- Hole in a piston

If you are lucky it will be the first one but it will need fixing before it does something nasty. May be worth doing a compression test on the cylinders which could tell you more, if one is low then there is a specific problem with that cylinder, if they are all even but down on spec then it is more likely to be general engine wear which as any 200Tdi will now be fourteen years old would not be too surprising.

Hope this helps

hi, thanks for the replys guys, i have notived a slight ticking noise towards the rear of the engine, maybe thats the head gasket leaking, are they hard to do and do i have to replace the head bolts,

it always happens to me get a couple of quid together for some mods and end up spending it on the maintanance instead

The 200Tdi tends to blow the no 4 gasket between the cylinder and the pushrod hole which pressurises the crankcase and can cause the engine to 'run away' on it's own oil. You then have to stall it quickly! If it is an auto you've had it :(

Better change the head gasket ASAP ...