What's this noise ??

:blink:

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help me with a noise/rumble thats just started (Monday) on my 1998 300tdi 110 CSW when stationary.

When I start 'Bert' up, and he is ticking over (feet off all pedals), I'm getting a kind of 'rumble'/'scraping' noise from the around engine/gearbox area. Depressing the clutch/pressing the brake pedal has no effect of the noise - it's still there. He drives fine and the clutch engages as it should and the brakes work just fine.

I did think it could be a propshaft/UJ put as they don't move until he does I kind of discounted that...

I've never heard it before and would welcome any opinions.... :rolleyes:

Er... cam/big end bearings?

Thanks for the replies.

When I pull away I can't hear it or feel any untoward coming up from anyway. Perhaps as you say Western it is just low revs resonance. Only done 92k and oil change every 6months/6000miles - wouldn't expect cam/big end bearings at mileage would I TimR?

I'll have a good look at the weekend when I have some light.

cheers

whats it like when u try steering with as it could be pas pump

Andy,

Spot on with the PAS. Managed to check in the fading light this evening and I've found a leak from just under the PAS reservior. Looks like the ends of ones of hoses has split as it's coming down from right underneath where the hose joins the reservior.

Anyone know the part numbers for these two hoses?

Thanks again everyone - appreciatted

Cheers

Gavin