Moody starting

burn_e

Lately my D1(96 Auto) developed a strange behavior. Sometimes it won't start.

Starts when cold without issues but sometimes when I stop after a while driving and switch off the engine - e.g. at the gas station - it just won't restart.

when I wait a while (ca. 30 min) the car just starts like nothing happened

Things that can be excluded are:

Ignition switch

Starter motor

Wires

Battery

Suspicious for me is the switch in the tranny which prevents starting when the gear selector is not in P or N.

This just because it has the same symptoms - you turn the key and nothing happens.

Can this switch get moody? Is this part something to maintain (fix) or should I go straight for a replacement?

Any other ideas what can cause this trouble.

Depending on what type of Discovery it is you may find it useful to check out this

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=86

However the reference to a "gas station" makes me think you could be in the States (good idea to fill in location on your profile) in which case if it is a NAS spec Discovery I don't think they have a spider but I'm not familiar with those models.

The switch that you refer to is another possibility. Is it a Tdi, Mpi or V8 engine?

Depending on what type of Discovery it is you may find it useful to check out this

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=86

However the reference to a "gas station" makes me think you could be in the States (good idea to fill in location on your profile) in which case if it is a NAS spec Discovery I don't think they have a spider but I'm not familiar with those models.

The switch that you refer to is another possibility. Is it a Tdi, Mpi or V8 engine?

Oops,

agreed, my mistake.

We are talking here about a 96 V8i (4.2 liter) GCC Spec - with means basicly a basic model (no code readers etc).

I'd never heard of a 4.2 version so I haven't a clue :unsure:

Could you post a couple of pics of the engine bay so we can see if we can identify the EFI system on the engine?

The engine was swaped from a RRC. From outside there is no visible difference to the 3.9ltr.

I even used the 3.9 plenum chamber to keep the appearence.

OK well in that case it is probably running a 14CUX alarm system and maybe a 2 button alarm. If the answer to both those is "yes" (especially the alarm bit) then the spider post linked to above is relevant.

This is a defefinate NO for both of them...

GCC spec means low tech...the most advanced pieces are the ECU and the digital clock.

• 3 weeks later...

here comes the solution...

After a couple of trails and errors (checking endless cables for cracks, put in another MAF, replacing the starter etc),

the ground lead (from battery to frame) was full of filth and when hot the impendance went up in the sky...therefore current reaching the starter not strong enough.

Got it today in cooperation with a very talented car electrician identified and solved. Additional we added a ground cable which connects the engine with negative lead from the battery.

Little thing big issue!