300 tdi Turbo Boost

nickdisco

I've recently fitted a de-cat and straight through centre pipe to my 95' 300 tdi disco

Problem is before fitting I had already adjusted the fuel pump with excellent results, but since fitting the pipes I have lost all the power surge that was gained, does anyone have any ideas............ :unsure:

Nick

(ps. EGR blanked off)

I've recently fitted a de-cat and straight through centre pipe to my 95' 300 tdi disco

Problem is before fitting I had already adjusted the fuel pump with excellent results, but since fitting the pipes I have lost all the power surge that was gained, does anyone have any ideas............ :unsure:

Nick

(ps. EGR blanked off)

do you not have any boxes on it atoll you relay need latest 1 on there. you could try just putting one on the back and taking it for a spin and see if there is any difference. just a thought.

do you not have any boxes on it atoll you relay need latest 1 on there. you could try just putting one on the back and taking it for a spin and see if there is any difference. just a thought.

It's still got the rear box on <_<

Nick

(ps. EGR blanked off)

Sounds like you maybe lost back pressure - not sure how though by just removing one box it should be ok

my 300 tdi has a decatted straight through exhaust with only 1 box underneath and its fine. Have you checked everything in case you dislodged or acccidently diconected something whilst fiddling with the zorst

Accepted wisdom appears to be that passing gasses through the turbo will provide enough back pressure to keep the 300 Tdi engine happy. Removing either one or both boxes from the exhaust should not result in a loss of power.

You say "Surge". Could the more free flowing exhaust be smoothing your power curve and reducing lag rather than sapping power? It would feel smoother (No surge) but be more efficient.

Did you do any other mods at the same time?

Stu.

See what you mean, although found when I initially done the pump adjustment (before the new pipework) the top gear roll on from an indicated 50-70mph was down to about 15 secs, but now is back to about 20 secs

Going to play about with some more pump settings and see if anything works

But if anything....makes a nice rorty noise though

Nick

There seems to be a sort of urban legend going around that these engines 'need' back pressure in order to work. The only engines where the pulse in the exhaust is critical are two-strokes where the exhaust has to be specifically tuned to help the exhaust gases out.

Four stroke engines don't need much more that an exhaust stub to work at their best; go look at any piston-engined aircraft.