any ideas i need help

1982hotdog

hi i have a 200 tdi disco j reg

i was driving down the road as normal and my car cut out.

we got fuel at the lift pump and then out of the filter but not out of the pump

so then got towed home

so then we changed the pump

then got fuel at the injectors but still not running right

so think the cam belt may have moved

i have been trying to fix it all weekend i done the timing and new fuel filter it will now tick over just but wont rev up

some times if you hold it flat out for a long time it will rev up but some times it wont

i thort it might be the lift pump but i had it running then removed the bleed bolt in the filter housing and it p==ed out so its not the lift pump

today i removed one of the injectors and then put the pipe back on and turned the key and it sprayed good then tryed one more that was ok

dont know what to do now

i think i might have to start again with the timing

Same experience with a friend at a P&P day in December. Engine would run and drive the vehicle on tickover, but as soon as any load was applied to the engine it would die... Changed the lift pump and it was much better. It was at that stage that we discovered he had a punctured fuel pipe on top of the chassis. Never noticed it before due the the lift pump not being good enough!!

well today ive been out side in the snow all day and redone the timing it now starts and runs but when i try to drive it its very slow it will only do about 40 mph and it hard to pull away

i think it might be the turbo now

o and theres a litle bit of air in the fuel (i have clear pipes)not much is this right or is there not ment to be any as i dont know because normly you carnt see

There should be no air at all in the fuel so if you have air that is probably the cause of your problems.

Check for obvious air leaks (loose connections around filter etc) if you don't find any then take the carpet up in the boot, take the hatch out in the middle of the boot floor and check the pickup where it goes into the top of the tank. I saw a 200Tdi with similar symptoms to yours once where the steel pickup pipe had corroded right through just outside the tank and there was a pinhole air leak on the suction side, no fuel leak due to it being suction rather than return but it buggered the performance up completely. You might be able to braze it but if it looks anything like the one I saw you will want a new pickup!

my tank is a 25l tub in the boot i carnt see any problems but there air coming from some where its not much very tiny bits

when its running the fuel pipe makes a tapping noise and moves and if you hold the rubber joints you can feal it pulsing is that right

and i dont think i can hear the turbo spolling up

i opened the air box it was full of leaves so i cleaned it and took out the filter then tried that but its the same

oh year my car is a range rover i only asked if the disco bit because its got a 200tdi in it thort it would be easyer that way

post-14586-1233530262_thumb.jpg