Cambelt change??

Coddy

How easy is it to change the cam belt on a 300 tdi?

Mine has done 103k and not sure if the belt has been changed as no history with the vehicle..

As an aside, IF the cambelt goes on one of these engines what if any damage could occur,

Regards

Coddy

It's not that easy as special tools are required. I would suggest you have it done by a decent independent workshop. If the cambelt breaks it can at the minimum break a few rockers and bend a few pushrods. At worst it can do a lot of damage to the pistons and valves, depending on the rpm when the belt breaks.

At 103k miles your cambelt should have been changed at least once, I would get it done asap if you don't know.

It's not that easy as special tools are required. I would suggest you have it done by a decent independent workshop. If the cambelt breaks it can at the minimum break a few rockers and bend a few pushrods. At worst it can do a lot of damage to the pistons and valves, depending on the rpm when the belt breaks.

At 103k miles your cambelt should have been changed at least once, I would get it done asap if you don't know.

What special tools are required then.....? I don't remember having to use Special Tools when I replaced mine.

Mine snapped luckily on tick over so no damage done.

True best if you know what you are doing but with a good book it ain't that difficult If you have or know someone that has a good mechanical knowledge. As this isn't about steering / suspension /brakes or any other major safety bits but it could be very expensive if you get it wrong.

So if in doubt seek help or risk a big bill.. :rolleyes:

Loz

It's nice to have a crank locking tool as it makes the job so much easier (especially on an Auto). Also a decent torque wrench for doing the crank bolt back up also helps, and a spring type (rather than click) torque wrench for setting the tensioner correctly plus a 9 or 10 mm drill bit to lock the pump.

there is a good guide in the tech archive Click Here

Pete.