Disc 2 injector harness

wobbly bob

I need to replace the injector harness on my d2 as there is oil a plenty dripping from the red plug that goes into the ECU. I know that this is a common problem and a simple fix.

I have been told by a garage that the replacement harness is only the 'internal' section and that it is not the whole harness including a new plug. This seems a little pointless to me as the plug and wires leading to it would still be contaminated. Surely the injector harness is one complete section from injectors to Ecu?

Is there the option of only replacing the section of harness under the rocker cover, where the unit commonly fails? If so what would be the point in only replacing this bit and leaving the rest of the rest of the harness 'dirty'?

I need to replace the injector harness on my d2 as there is oil a plenty dripping from the red plug that goes into the ECU. I know that this is a common problem and a simple fix.

I have been told by a garage that the replacement harness is only the 'internal' section and that it is not the whole harness including a new plug. This seems a little pointless to me as the plug and wires leading to it would still be contaminated. Surely the injector harness is one complete section from injectors to Ecu?

Is there the option of only replacing the section of harness under the rocker cover, where the unit commonly fails? If so what would be the point in only replacing this bit and leaving the rest of the rest of the harness 'dirty'?

Apparently it is the O rings on the block that exits the engine that cause the problem. When you replace the harness, you still need to check the ECU for oil whilst it works it way out via capillary action.

Urban Panzer has a good write up on his website www.discovery2.co.uk

Cheers

John

Do a search the subject has been covered loads of times but briefly:-

The oil ingress is into the injector harness which is inside the cylinder head. Later ones have better (but not perfect!) sealing. You can buy the main harness but this is about 500 quid for a Defender (not sure how much the Disco one is) instead of just £40 for the injector harness so by all means change the whole lot if you want to do a proper job but what most people do is fit a new injector harness and wash out the plugs at both ends of the main harness with contact cleaner or brake cleaner then blow out with compressed air, repeat this a number of times until the oil stops coming out. 99% of the time this will work unless the main harness is really bad.