BW TRANSFER BOX WOES

was a nice truck?

Help ive just checked the level in my borg warner transfer case and the oil that has come out is a bit scarry!!

Should it be ep90 or atf???

If it should be atf then the last lot is in real bad nick having only done 8000 miles or so. If anyone knows what should be in there i would be right grateful.

Thanks in advance Dave :(

Help ive just checked the level in my borg warner transfer case and the oil that has come out is a bit scarry!!

Should it be ep90 or atf???

If it should be atf then the last lot is in real bad nick having only done 8000 miles or so. If anyone knows what should be in there i would be right grateful.

Thanks in advance Dave :(

Hi Dave,

Certainly ATF NOT ep90

There must be away

if you place the intake and out let at the same level with the intake very close to a large submerged gear and the outlet in a relitivly open area the gear would force the fluid to move through the system but it could only be close to the transfure box and bleading would be a pain.

fitting a electric pump with a thermostatic controll and fan is the easy option

cooler is a brilliant idea, If you manage to fit one please post I would certainly be interested.

Cheers dave

That would be pretty tricky IMHO. There is no oil-pump as such, so you'd be getting into the same technology that NASCARs etc use to add oil coolers to the rear diff.

You aren't running sump guards by any chance are you ?

That would be pretty tricky IMHO. There is no oil-pump as such, so you'd be getting into the same technology that NASCARs etc use to add oil coolers to the rear diff.

You aren't running sump guards by any chance are you ?

The box does not need to cooling that the auto box needs so as long as a gear is moving there is a flow generated there for the hydrolic movment should alow it to flow around a system that is not to complex and syfon would do the rest.

(sorry I could be talking total rubbish as I sat my hydrolics paper about 11yrs ago)

I cant help but feel there is a cause of the heat and curing that may be easier than sorting a coller. Not as 'ardcore' mind

Dave

This is a Range Rover with a viscous coupling is it? Are the front and rear tyres the same size? I am guessing that running different sizes front and rear may cause some heat buildup. The viscous unit is OK I suppose?

Chris