Fitting a Defender 300Tdi engine and gearboxes

Hi there,

The 200Tdi engine in my 90 is running on end (heavy oil use and loud tappet noise, despite set at correct valve clearance). The performance is also getting worse. So I decided it's time to replace it. The LT77 gearbox has seen better days also and the tranfer box is 1.6 ratio (don't ask me why).

I have a Defender 300 Tdi engine incl all the hoses, radiator/intercooler, airfilter and both gearboxes available. Also the transmission tunnel and seatbox.

I prefer to change to 300Tdi because I like the engine more and also prefer the R380 gearbox. My Defender 110 is also 300Tdi.

I have new wide yoke propshaft from Gwyn Lewis on the 90 and I would like to keep them.

Now the questions bit.

1)

If I change to the 300Tdi engine and gearboxes, will the LT230 gearbox sit in the same position so I can use the wide yoke propshafts or are the 300Tdi propshafts a different length?

2)

Besides changing the engine mounts, what modifications are required?

3)

Can I keep the 200Tdi radiator/intercooler (it is in better condition then the one from the 300Tdi)?

4)

Can I re-use the handbrake system or is the 300Tdi one different?

Thanks very much for the answers ;)

you can just copy the full install from the 90, you will need the chassis part of the engine mounts as well.

200Tdi rad/intercooler have different connection locations, but with a bit of thought it should be fairly easy to make it connect to the engine.

the 300's transfer box will have the cable already fitted this cable has a different connect within the transmission brake, so just connect it to the 110's handbrake lever & leave the gearbox end as it is.

keep the 110's prop shafts as the gearbox/transfer box will be in the same place

Thanks Western.

The question is for my 90, that needs the new engine etc..

I will check the install in my 110 (that is an original 300Tdi).

Good to know I can use the propshafts.

The 90 is from 1986 and has been converted to Defender 200Tdi. Will the handbrake cable also fit to that?

Thanks Western.

The question is for my 90, that needs the new engine etc..

I will check the install in my 110 (that is an original 300Tdi).

Good to know I can use the propshafts.

The 90 is from 1986 and has been converted to Defender 200Tdi. Will the handbrake cable also fit to that?

Ah, I got it the wrong way round then, the 110 can serve as the pattern for the 90's new engine/transmission fit.

a 300tdi handbrake cable is only different at the transmission brake end, on the 200Tdi & earlier vehicles it has a fork end & connects to a rod that operates the brake, on 300Tdi the cable connects inside the transmission brake drum, but the handbrake lever end is the same type of end fitting as all pre 300TDi vehicle, so it will fit the existing handbrake lever.

The transfer box wont need to move , so props stay the same , As Ralph has mentioned the only retro fit work will be the chassis mounts for the engine , If you have everything else from the 300 then its plain sailing , You will have to modify the exhaust as the 300 and 200 front pipes are diferent .