fuel consumption discovery

bosmorau

hi, i am thinking of buying a discovery,its re imported from japan its a 3.9 petrol,can anyone give me an idea of the fuel consumption and has anyone got one converted to lpg. i have got an 89 defender 90 and i want something with a bit more comfort for traveling to france. the garage wants almost 4k for it low miles and no rust its r reg any advice welcome good or bad .

Despite lots of claims from people that you can get 20mpg out of them I used to average about 14mpg in mixed driving in mine, you might get it up to 17 on a long run but overall mine did about 14.

They are lovely vehicles but not cheap to run.

Hi Stetchie We are talking Petrol not Diesel :huh:

Hi bosmorau, fuel consumption for everybody is different depends on so many factors. But saying that my old 3.5 RRC did 16mpg anywhere and everywhere each time I decided to check it never changed so I gave up checking in the end.

My 3.9 disco does an average of 18mpg consistantly but when I used the disco in town and travelled 3 miles there and 3 miles back for a month the mpg was 13 but on a 250 mile road trip I had 22mpg when I checked after I filled up with petrol.

But like before I have now giving up checking as I know my average is 18mpg or there abouts

Hi Stetchie We are talking Petrol not Diesel :huh:

Hi bosmorau, fuel consumption for everybody is different depends on so many factors. But saying that my old 3.5 RRC did 16mpg anywhere and everywhere each time I decided to check it never changed so I gave up checking in the end.

My 3.9 disco does an average of 18mpg consistantly but when I used the disco in town and travelled 3 miles there and 3 miles back for a month the mpg was 13 but on a 250 mile road trip I had 22mpg when I checked after I filled up with petrol.

But like before I have now giving up checking as I know my average is 18mpg or there abouts

thanks for the replies

If i get an lpg conversion then i should get double the mileage for the same price as a gallon of petrol which will make it mor afordable,anyone had one converted.

Hi, our 3.9 is on LPG, on petrol its about 11 mpg mostly, on LPG it does 11 mpg as well but did 14 mpg going to London to see relations before Xmas. And it was being "lead booted" overtaking mostly everything at speeds in the triple figures, It ran out just one filling station before the end of the A1!! 72 liters in 232 miles at an average of about 85 mph.

With those figures;

LPG= 19p a mile normally, 15p a mile on a run

Petrol= 39p a mile regular, Dont know about on a run.

its worth getting one on LPG as its about £700 to get them converted but if you intend keeping it for a while it will start to save you ££.

As for the garage wanting £4, that could be a good price, go with the full cash in your pockets, tilt the rear seats forward and pull back the carpet about 10cms and check for rust, then check the rear wheel arches for rust, get under the bonnet check the inner wings, then get down underneath the disco check the back of the sills, whilst your under there check the chassis, cross member and all the foot wells. Any problems like rust and because you have the full amount in your pocket you have the garage around your little finger and you could probably get as much as a grand off, if there really is nothing wrong and you have the cash then you can still get about £200-£300 off.

Hope this is of some help.

Hi, our 3.9 is on LPG, on petrol its about 11 mpg mostly, on LPG it does 11 mpg as well but did 14 mpg going to London to see relations before Xmas. And it was being "lead booted" overtaking mostly everything at speeds in the triple figures, It ran out just one filling station before the end of the A1!! 72 liters in 232 miles at an average of about 85 mph.

With those figures;

LPG= 19p a mile normally, 15p a mile on a run

Petrol= 39p a mile regular, Dont know about on a run.

its worth getting one on LPG as its about £700 to get them converted but if you intend keeping it for a while it will start to save you ££.

As for the garage wanting £4, that could be a good price, go with the full cash in your pockets, tilt the rear seats forward and pull back the carpet about 10cms and check for rust, then check the rear wheel arches for rust, get under the bonnet check the inner wings, then get down underneath the disco check the back of the sills, whilst your under there check the chassis, cross member and all the foot wells. Any problems like rust and because you have the full amount in your pocket you have the garage around your little finger and you could probably get as much as a grand off, if there really is nothing wrong and you have the cash then you can still get about £200-£300 off.

Hope this is of some help.

thats a great help thanks