Paint It Black

well I just finished painting my galvanised chassis black, after a few coats of primer.

You could say im being a bit over the top and it will get scratched etc.

But hey it looks nice. Thought the orange extended bump stops and stainless bolts made it a bit bling.

looks a little to 80s though!

post-4517-1233750583_thumb.jpg

post-4517-1233750625_thumb.jpg

took a while it did....

but im really liking the finish, it's a real tough gloss black. Like the fact that I could work on it and not get covered in waxyoil.

I used a mineral tninners first to make the galv just a touch more ready to take the paint.

then this stuff - Teamac Zinc Phosphate Primer/Undercoat

then this stuff - Teamac Metalcote 2-4 hour plant enamel

Thats a nice job, i like the winch. makes the job so much easier.

:huh: In my next life, I will invest in a garage where all such facilities will be available. :rolleyes: It makes life much more easier. As at now crawling under the truck is a pain in the past. Deltoids have taken all shocks of the car many-a-times!! Nice work mate! That orange gives it an attitude! Blingish but cool :lol:

took a while it did....

but im really liking the finish, it's a real tough gloss black. Like the fact that I could work on it and not get covered in waxyoil.

I used a mineral tninners first to make the galv just a touch more ready to take the paint.

then this stuff - Teamac Zinc Phosphate Primer/Undercoat

then this stuff - Teamac Metalcote 2-4 hour plant enamel

Is the zinc phosphate primer an etch primer? I thought it was just zinc rich to provide a better amount of rust protection on steel rather than being an etching primer?

Is the zinc phosphate primer an etch primer? I thought it was just zinc rich to provide a better amount of rust protection on steel rather than being an etching primer?

Not sure on the primer, I will double check but im pretty sure that the mineral thinners I have do the de-greasing so the primer goes on well. The actual primer im using is called Temac High build, so it could be slightly different as I think this one is just a Zinc rich primer.

here a is more info on the various paints.

It's not about the degreasing, it's more to do with the fact that the zinc won't actually take the paint well, so you have to use an etch primer first to give a key. Rather than just 'sticking' to the metal like a normal primer, it chemically etches a surface and sticks to that.

It looks like you have done a top job, I would hate to see it all peel off again cos you used the wrong primer. :(

Mark

yes, Im hearing what you are saying, and I did paint the whole thing first with an eitch primer, it's the mineral spirits, I just can't remember the name of it, its a blue liquid that make the galvanising go black if you let it pool.

Stick this stuff all over the whole thing first to as you say, give it a key, then the primer will take no problem. I will find out what its called.

yes, Im hearing what you are saying, and I did paint the whole thing first with an eitch primer, it's the mineral spirits, I just can't remember the name of it, its a blue liquid that make the galvanising go black if you let it pool.

Stick this stuff all over the whole thing first to as you say, give it a key, then the primer will take no problem. I will find out what its called.

Not T-wash by any chance ?

Ah, that makes more sense! I had read it earlier in the thread as thinners, which I would have thought would do a poor job at etching.... As I said, looks like a good job. I have to face up to doing this on the new build, but without the luxury of galvanising!

Mark