Defender in Mexico??

popotla

I am looking at the possibility of taking my LR Defender County Station Wagon 110 Td5 (2005) to Mexico and using it there indefinitely.

However, since the vehicle isn't sold there I'm concerned about getting spare parts as and when they might be needed, and repairs.

I'd be really glad to hear thoughts and advice on this from any Defender owner in Mexico, or the owner there of any other Landrover.

I am looking at the possibility of taking my LR Defender County Station Wagon 110 Td5 (2005) to Mexico and using it there indefinitely.

However, since the vehicle isn't sold there I'm concerned about getting spare parts as and when they might be needed, and repairs.

I'd be really glad to hear thoughts and advice on this from any Defender owner in Mexico, or the owner there of any other Landrover.

According to their website, the Mexican Navy use Defenders, so there may be some support in the country -

Secretaria de Marina - Armada de México

LAND%20ROVER.jpg

I live in Belize which is a small southern neighbour of Mexico. LR is supported here through the country's link with the UK and the fact that the MOD donates loads of gear to The Belize Defense Force so there are plenty of ways to get parts (even if they are not new) oncw you break into the network.

Mexico has more links with the US and so I would doubt a British marque such as LR would be well represented.

My gut feeling would be get a Toyota, they are the utitlity truck of choice throughout Latin America closely followed by Isuzu. Sorry guys I love my Defender and I know it can go where most Toyota's would fail and it is a great talking point when ever I make a road side stop but if dealer support is factored in to the equation then the Japs have it.

I don't see too much of a problem having a Defender in Mexico. But the issue I see is having a Td5 powered LR over there since all LRs on the local market have V8s. There's a great chance you will have the only Td5 in the country.

If you're ready to do the diagnostics and the repairs on the engine yourself and order parts from UK (and have a second vehicle to keep you mobile in the meantime) then go for it. Otherwise, better sell it and buy something else there.