4 speed auto

Just before I popped out this morning I checked my autobox oillevel. The engine was idling and cold, the box was in park (I know it should be in neutral when checking), the oil was showing low on the stick, but still registering. I then went out, and felt that the box wasn't quite getting into top. Is this a case of topping up my gearbox oil or something more serious ? If my gearbox is losing oil, where would it be evident ? The engine is a 3.5 Efi.

Thanks, Jon

Yes, I have heard that changing the filter can cause problems. The box has been changing fine, very smooth gear to gear. I think lock-up ?? happens at about 50 mph, is that about right ?? It does clonk when engaging reverse - dont know if thats right ?The oil looks to be a reddy sort of colour, so I think I might get some ATF and top it up first, then try to track the leak if I can.

Lock up around 50 - sounds about right

Red ATF - sounds about right

Clonk engaging reverse - sounds about right (for a land rover!!!!!)

The clonk is most likely from the transfer case rather than the gearbox. If it gets really bad you can change the output shaft on the autobox and the input gear on the T case.

just changed the oil and filter in mine (HP24) goes better now, changes are smoother, but as Bish says heed the advice on Daves site.

Yours is a very new box though isn't it..... If you change the oil frequently from new then you're OK. It is when it hasn't been changed for 100k tht the problems begin.... :unsure:

Thanks for the comments. Thanks bishbosh for confirming my findings. Atleast it doesn't sound like another gearbox yet. Top-up is the first port of call and take it from there. I know I top up through the dipstick tube with some sort of funnel I suppose ?? Do I start the motor from cold and keep checking the level as I fill or do it without starting the motor ? Thanks, Jon

Bish yes box only has 5k or so on it IIRC.

lockup in mine is around 45/50mph.

procedure is same as with no dipstick i believe

How do I fill and check the oil level in my autobox as it has no Dipstick.

The later P38"s and the Disco II don"t have dipsticks on the autobox, instead on the front face of the sump they have a filler level plug, The fill procedure is first to put the transfer case in neutral so theres no load, fill with oil until the oil overflows, autobox in N, start the engine, it will suck all the oil up so you need to pump like crazy to top it back up until it overflows again, put the transfer case in high and move the shifter up and down the gate a few times, a few seconds in each position, check level, the engine revs should now drop when you shift from N to D as it takes up load, plug in, test drive, check level, engine running in N.

from Daves site

use a funnel and fill through the dipstick.

This is one bonus of a 3-day week I suppose :( , getting on the internet in the day !! Back to my gearbox. When tracking down a leak on an auto, and if I find one, are there some parts I can change in-situ, as you can do with diff seals and transfer case seals ie by taking the prop off etc. which are relatively simple things to do. I don't fancy taking the box out at the mo, or paying someone to do it. I'll have a look in my RRC Haynes to see what it says in there (RRC-thats where the engine and box came from) Any advice would be welcome, thanks, Jon

Just topped up the box and it appears to be changing upto 4th speed. Can't really see any massive leaks as such. The dipstick tube and oil cooler tubes into the box seams fine. The bottom of the engine sump is wet, but I think thats mainly engine oil. When the engine & box was fitted (prior to me buying it) the rigid oil cooler pipes go towards the front of the engine, then there are rigid pipes from the bogbrush cooler at the front, and then rubber pipe with jubilee clips to connect the two sets of rigid pipe. There is a slight leak at the rubber/rigid pipe connection. Is this the right set-up or sould they be rigid pipe all the way ? Should I renew the rubber pipe and jubilee clips ? Thanks, Jon