diff storage

tonka

i am going to be collecting 2x 4 pin diffs tomorrow and i wont be needing them for a couple of months untill i change my axles over. i was wondering if anyone has tips on keeping them stored in good condition. i was thinking of covering a rag in ep90 and wraping it around the insides of the diff to try to keep the moisture and so on out. if anyone has any tips that has worked i would be happy to listen. thanks.

plastic storage box with snap-on lid (like the reasy useful boxes) squirt the diff in duck oil or similar, then wrap in an oil soaked cloth.

The Army store components for decades (as do the Navy - we supply them at work) by grease packing them and wrapping in greased paper, so a few months should be fine in an oily towel ;)

I've made little plywood boxes (sad? yup!) with a hole in the top that I traced off a gasket. The exposed bits then sit in the box, and the box sits on the shelf with the pinion pointing up. Saves the thing rolling around gathering dust and muck. :ph34r:

I've made little plywood boxes (sad? yup!) with a hole in the top that I traced off a gasket. The exposed bits then sit in the box, and the box sits on the shelf with the pinion pointing up. Saves the thing rolling around gathering dust and muck. :ph34r:

For long term storage I heard of people cutting up axle cases and welding the side openings up with plate.

When the spare diff is bolted in it is hermetically sealed and safe from damage.

Marc.