Discovery Bobtail body mounts

tobes

I have recently bought a disco commercial for work which means my old 300tdi discovery is just begging to be hacked about with the grinder!!

So i have been running through a few ideas about bobtailing/tube back. i really like the orange RR that was posted on here a few weeks ago (tangoman's?) and would like to do something similar, without creating a replica!!

I had the rear body crossmember replaced about a year ago because of rust and would really like to do away with it for longevity reasons.

Do i need to have the rubber body mounts that are existing on the discovery? are they there just to improve ride? to stop flexing of the bodyshell? or...??

Can i make up a tube 'space-frame' and weld directly onto the chassis and tie in the remaining shell into that?

Does anyone have pictures of anything similar they have seen/done?

Also, is there any reason why i cant use the winch bumper off the front as a rear cossmember?

winchchallenge00-copy-copy.jpg

Thanks very much,

Toby

Hmm, lead on :D

You can, and probably should, weld direct to the chassis and there are no rules to stop you moving the winch bumper to the back.

Do some searching on here, look esp for DiscoDino's truck. Way ahead of most UK stuff but he was posting up some pics of tubing it very recently. And yes, Tangomans is another but RR based IIRC. In fact most are RR based, Jez's Rogure Vogue's,.. so be good to see a nicely tubed Disco. Good luck.

I have recently bought a disco commercial for work which means my old 300tdi discovery is just begging to be hacked about with the grinder!!

So i have been running through a few ideas about bobtailing/tube back. i really like the orange RR that was posted on here a few weeks ago (tangoman's?) and would like to do something similar, without creating a replica!!

I had the rear body crossmember replaced about a year ago because of rust and would really like to do away with it for longevity reasons.

Do i need to have the rubber body mounts that are existing on the discovery? are they there just to improve ride? to stop flexing of the bodyshell? or...??

Can i make up a tube 'space-frame' and weld directly onto the chassis and tie in the remaining shell into that?

Does anyone have pictures of anything similar they have seen/done?

Also, is there any reason why i cant use the winch bumper off the front as a rear cossmember?

winchchallenge00-copy-copy.jpg

Thanks very much,

Toby

Toby, the main reason discos have rubber mounts is to stop vibrations going through the chassis and into the body. Its basicly just to make them more civilised.

Winch bumpers can be used as rear x-members but I'd just be tempted to fabricate from scratch if your going to all that effort. I just don't think it looks quite right.

Yes, Nick's vehicle is a work of art. I'm very much looking forward to competing with him again soon.

Thanks for the quick reply guys, pretty much as i thought.

I had seen discodino's pictures, i am interested to see what he does with the roof and back of the cab,

i am tempted to loose the roof and cap it like this

RobbieDisco252028229-copy.jpg

and then have a canvas made up, but then that may just make the whole job even harder :lol:

I ve started the interior strip down, got a few bits to sell and then i can crack on B)

Thanks again

Toby

Nadim, thanks i am sure i'll be after advise pretty soon! in the mean time keep the pictures coming :)

I still have quite a lot to do before i'll actually start cutting it... new mig welder (old one went pop last weekend :( ) need some better formers for the tube bender too, and the metal and.............!!!

i would like to make up as much as possible first before i take it off the road to chop it

i trained as a blacksmith so the welding etc shouldnt be a problem, but i'll be doing it all outside as the doors on my workshop are just too small to fit it in :rolleyes: