110 v8 Gearbox Problems........

billy

Hey guys,

I am a newbie to the Land Rover community. I own a gas converted 3.5 V8 on a 83 'A' reg fitted with a LT95 gearbox with Overdrive.

I am having trouble as the name suggests with the gearbox, with it not liking 1st gear...... Sometimes it will go in 1st, but 75% of the time it wont. Also, 2nd gear crunches when its being selected, is this normal?

Something to add, is that it does it hot or cold, gearbox fluid is topped up and was changed not long ago (maybe 12 months ago now when Overdrive was fitted).

The gearstick has been changed as it decided to snap on the top of the ball when I was selecting 'R', but I've not had a problem with reverse.

Can anyone give me any advice, as really would like to get this sorted ASAP.

Thanks in advance

Billy

Hey guys,

I am a newbie to the Land Rover community. I own a gas converted 3.5 V8 on a 83 'A' reg fitted with a LT95 gearbox with Overdrive.

I am having trouble as the name suggests with the gearbox, with it not liking 1st gear...... Sometimes it will go in 1st, but 75% of the time it wont. Also, 2nd gear crunches when its being selected, is this normal?

Something to add, is that it does it hot or cold, gearbox fluid is topped up and was changed not long ago (maybe 12 months ago now when Overdrive was fitted).

The gearstick has been changed as it decided to snap on the top of the ball when I was selecting 'R', but I've not had a problem with reverse.

Can anyone give me any advice, as really would like to get this sorted ASAP.

Thanks in advance

Billy

That sounds similar to the problems I had with my LT85, it started off not liking 1st from a standstill and was noisy going into 2nd, lasted about a year (doing about 500 miles a week) before it eventually jammed in 1st & 2nd at the same time. Once un-jammed I couldn't get 1st at all but continued to work OK without 1st for sometime before it totally packed up (couldn't select gears at all, eventually got 3rd and limped home). On inspection afterwards one of the bearings had gone (the one on the 1st/2nd gear end near the selectors). It looked like it was causing twisting of the selector shafts & wearing of the casting allowed lots of play in the selector shafts.

Apart from the selection problems it seemed to work fine. Even the oil looked clean enough, even the sludge (presumably fine aluminium powder mixed with oil) was only evident after stripping the box down.

Hopefully someone with more experience of the LT95 can confirm that this could or could not be the same problem.

Cheers,

Colin.

mine does that aswell, the sync has gone and they will work for years like this, as above you just have go get used to double de clutching, it is also advisable to just be a little more careful with it, we had one before with an Lt77 which we had to do this too and had it for 5 years and it never broke, cheers