throttle potentiometer

CURLY

is it failing?

i have a 300 tdi edc jap import auto 1994 M reg..

sometimes, when i press the throttle, it does nothing, so i lift off and go again, and its fine..

is this a sign of the throttle potentiometer failing, or could it be something else?

if it is the potentiometer where is the plug for it? i think i traced it to in the engine bay just behind the brake servo.. is that it?

cheers in advance AGAIN!

Sam

I know about the ones on V8's, generally potentiometers are not servicable if that helps. You should be able to test it electrically with a multimeter on the resistance (Ohms) range, it should increase/decrease smoothly as you cycle it.

Guest DiscoTD4
is it failing?

i have a 300 tdi edc jap import auto 1994 M reg..

sometimes, when i press the throttle, it does nothing, so i lift off and go again, and its fine..

is this a sign of the throttle potentiometer failing, or could it be something else?

if it is the potentiometer where is the plug for it? i think i traced it to in the engine bay just behind the brake servo.. is that it?

cheers in advance AGAIN!

Sam

Hi there - are you sure it's an EDC, only I didn't think they came out till 1995 onwards ?

If it's an EDC then from memory the pot has a built in idle switch and looks like a custom design, so not sure how easy it would be to replace with an off the shelf item. It could be possible to repair if your handy with tools, I expect you would need to drill out rivets etc, but nothing to loose.

Worth having a poke around under the dash and see if there is a mechanical issue with the pedal lever/cam thing that does the actuation on the pot as well.

Cheers

Hi there - are you sure it's an EDC, only I didn't think they came out till 1995 onwards ?

If it's an EDC then from memory the pot has a built in idle switch and looks like a custom design, so not sure how easy it would be to replace with an off the shelf item. It could be possible to repair if your handy with tools, I expect you would need to drill out rivets etc, but nothing to loose.

Worth having a poke around under the dash and see if there is a mechanical issue with the pedal lever/cam thing that does the actuation on the pot as well.

Cheers

hi there, yes it is definately an EDC because i have had a right job getting parts for it because when i say its 1994, they all say, 'nope, its not an EDC then, must be this bit you want instead'..

its a really weird version of the EDC though, it has sensors all over the place, and instrumented injectors, a different ECU to every other disco in the world and various other bizarre components!

checked under the dash, but everything is turning and pivoting as it should, so i'm thinking its got to be the potentiometer..

daaaaaam..

CURLY