Reversing with tinted glass

Silverbake

When I bought my Disco last year, it was already kitted-out ready for an expedition which never happened. Nicely done too, with upgraded suspension & brakes, 4 tonne Warne winch, etc etc. However, to try to protect valuables from prying eyes, the windows had been progressively tinted, from slight on the windscreen to seriously dark at the back. All well and good, but a bugger for reversing, particularly in low light. I've already bent the plastic bumper outriders a couple of times when reversing through dense woodland.

Last month, I was at an exhibition in Germany where there was a stand showing Hi Tech gizmo's, including a Backup Camera set. That's backup as in reversing. I had a few spare Euros, so offereded 50 (about 45 quid) and picked up a set (I think that was the trade price, as they weren't supposed to be selling off the stand).

Its now fitted and working and I'm amazed how good it is. The camera is mounted on the back door, just to the left of the spare wheel. It's connected to the reversing lights (fiddly going through the hinge loom, but worth the trouble) and comes on as soon as reverse is selected.

I've mounted the screen up under the visor so it can't easily be seen from outside, and it picks up power from the courtesy light assembly. The camera sends a wireless signal to the screen as soon as its powered-up, and there's a clear fisheye view of whatever is lurking behind me. It takes a little time to learn to judge distances (there was a more expensive set with parking sensors which I guess would help), but certainly should prevent me from reversing over my chainsaw... again!

As an unexpected bonus, I occasionally pick-up pictures from other wireless broadcasts as I drive to work. Last week, there was a brief sequence from some American cable channel, presumably coming from the hotel I was crawling past. No sound and just a couple of beach scenes, but it livened up the daily drag for a few seconds!

quote name='Chicken Drumstick' date='Mar 9 2009, 03:10 PM' post='374861']

Coolio. Any pics of it installed, what make did you say it was?

Its called a Comfortcam (sounds like a spy down the pan eh?)

post-15495-1236626074_thumb.jpg

post-15495-1236626064.jpg

Grotty pics, but you get the idea. The screen shows my other hobby parked behind in a dimly lit garage.

Silverbake

I've got privacy glass on my truck and it is a bugger to see out in the dark. My solution is to wind the window down and stick my head out. I think before long it's gonna come off. ;)

quote name='Chicken Drumstick' date='Mar 9 2009, 03:10 PM' post='374861']

Coolio. Any pics of it installed, what make did you say it was?

Its called a Comfortcam (sounds like a spy down the pan eh?)

post-15495-1236626074_thumb.jpg

post-15495-1236626064.jpg

Grotty pics, but you get the idea. The screen shows my other hobby parked behind in a dimly lit garage.

Silverbake

Cool, looks like a neat bit of kit, wonder if you can get them here, wouldn't mind one myself.

What's your other hobby BTW? Couldn't quite make it out in the pic.. :)

Cool, looks like a neat bit of kit, wonder if you can get them here, wouldn't mind one myself.

What's your other hobby BTW? Couldn't quite make it out in the pic.. :)

Other hobby is a 1985 Mercedes 280sl roadster....... from the sublime to the ridiculous? Infact, the two cars have a lot in common, like pedigree and build quality. Also, both are gassed, though I get almost 3 times the Mpg from the Merc. Wouldn't want to take it through the woods though.............

post-15495-1236688532_thumb.jpg post-15495-1236688155_thumb.jpg post-15495-1236688254_thumb.jpg