Starter / solenoid for defender 90

Any advice appreciated guys , just got my defender 90 tdi 1989 , i expected some work would need done over the coming months but after a few days its hit me :( had it running monday morning all was fine went to turn it over tuesday morning -nothing ( red lights on dash came on for a second , a slight clicking noise then nothing ) i had a brand new battery so fitted that in but the exact same..

Could this be the starter or solenoid or maybe even the alternator thats causing this ?

Ok guys i put the jumplead on the starter motor body from battery , still nothing , so any ideas what to look for now ?

Check that the +ve lead is tight on both the battery and the starter motor. It's the thick red lead on the starter, 13mm spanner on the starter and 1/4 whitworth on the battery. Take care not to short the leads out to earth with your spanner, best remove the -ve battery lead to be safe.

If these are tight and in good condition it's beginning to look like the starter is at fault. It sounds like the solenoid is going in but not activating the starter. Does it just click the once or does it keep clicking for as long as the key is held in the start position? If it clicks just the once it looks like the starter, several clicks indicates low voltage.

You could try starting with a jump pack to rule out whether its the battery or not. Also if you switch the headlights on whilst trying to start, if the headlights dim then its not a bad connection if the stay the same then there is probably a bad connection somewhere.