R660 Radio Cassette on a 98 Defender 90

We have purchased my first land rover - a 98 defender 90 300 tdi csw. Unfortunately the factory installed R660 radio cassette player is U/S.

Could some one please advise me on its removal and recommend me a decent cd/radio replacement and advice on wiring.

Oh, the radio aerial has also been snapped off, I have a replacement, is it easy to fit.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!!

Hello and Welcome, probably worth introducing yourself on the board in a bit.

The radio shouldn't be too difficult to remove using a set of removal keys from autoleads or halfords.

When you get it out look at the back of the radio and ask when buying another if the set has same connections for minimum fuss.

The standard size radio is a single din slot. Standard loom should be an ISO loom/connectors.

There are two types of antenna connector the older type which you most likely have with a longer centre pin, or the later type with a right angle connector and a shorter centre pin.

If you buy all the bits at the same time you can buy an new antenna also with correct plug on/or adapter.

Depending on your practical experience/time free I would pop it down to Halfords and get them to do it. Find a set you like and shop around though.

Recommendations get a set with an Ipod input or USB/ 3.5mm aux input for off road use. CD/mp3 deck for the on road bits. Decent rds radio for the traffic news.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...
Hello and Welcome, probably worth introducing yourself on the board in a bit.

The radio shouldn't be too difficult to remove using a set of removal keys from autoleads or halfords.

When you get it out look at the back of the radio and ask when buying another if the set has same connections for minimum fuss.

The standard size radio is a single din slot. Standard loom should be an ISO loom/connectors.

There are two types of antenna connector the older type which you most likely have with a longer centre pin, or the later type with a right angle connector and a shorter centre pin.

If you buy all the bits at the same time you can buy an new antenna also with correct plug on/or adapter.

Depending on your practical experience/time free I would pop it down to Halfords and get them to do it. Find a set you like and shop around though.

Recommendations get a set with an Ipod input or USB/ 3.5mm aux input for off road use. CD/mp3 deck for the on road bits. Decent rds radio for the traffic news.

Pete

Thanks Pete, I got myself a decent JVC head with USB input, it all fits like a dream - no problems with the ISO connections. However - I am having problems getting the new wing mounted antenna - how do I get the connection up to the new head. I presume I'll have to remove the dash uder the unit - but can't see how to do it. I tried to feed it through with the old antenna lead but it got caught, any ideas?

However - I am having problems getting the new wing mounted antenna - how do I get the connection up to the new head. I presume I'll have to remove the dash uder the unit - but can't see how to do it. I tried to feed it through with the old antenna lead but it got caught, any ideas?

See my reply http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=40074 :D