OT new car advice needed

Ben Jordan

Ben,, V70 AWD leave well alone,,a no-no,, the front angle drive are VERY fragile !! Grand to sort,

The tyres on a AWD must be with in 2-3 mm of each other, so if you sidewall one, its a set of 4, otherwise damage to the angle drive

The car is NOT 4 wheel drive but all wheel drive, sorted by viscous coupling,,, also the car on -e-blag is NOT 265 brake but 240, and the early car are not that rare,

Stick to a proper 2 WD one, and you will not go wrong, if its got good history,

Look after a T5 with over 350k on the clock !!

How much do they come in at? I've had a look on the Auto trader and the ones i have seen are 12k+.

Early 97/98 V70 R 2WD around £5-7k, For £12k, it would have to be a mint, low mileage, one of the last 2000 year ones with the 265 motor and AWD

Early 97/98 V70 R 2WD around £5-7k

That’s too much for me. I have just had a chat with my dad and he recons that Volvo are really good quality, so i will have to go and have a look at some. What good condition fast Volvo estate will i get for 4k?

This looks like quite an interesting Volvo V70 T5

What are Volvo's like for reliability? Im shying away from them because we use Vauxhalls at work and they go on for ages.

mine has just done 80 K (ok, so I am a light user).

so far, apart from an apetite for tyres, the only part needed to replace that had goen wrong was the brake pedal position sensor for the ABS; also had new brake disc all round but that is wear and tear I guess. the back tailgate wiper motor is palying up again. no signs of rust anywhere yet; at the same age, well 2 yrs younger, the rear wheel arhces on the Astra (previous car) had started to go.

850 T5 on everyonefavouriteauctionsite are peanuts; I am hanging onto mine until is starts to breakdown/get expensive to run as I won't get much back on it.

• 4 weeks later...

don't touch anything made by MG-rover, the parts availability is already patchy. i was talking to a friend in the trade a few weeks back who reckons there are MG rover 75's sitting in crash repair shops waiting for new panels... and there aren't any... before long any crashed rover will be written off, whatever the damage.

the build quality was appaling, they wont last like Volvos or BMW's...

i'd look at what the motorway cops drive... omega's big volvos, theres a reason they buy those cars, id rather a volvo that a vauxhall, but its just a person thing... nothing wrong with the big vauxhalls, and theres loads in breakers yards all over the country, for spare parts.

i'd look at what the motorway cops drive... omega's big volvos, theres a reason they buy those cars,

Those cars do last a long time. But the reason they are brought is not because they are good cars. It's because the forces are locked into contracts with certain manufactures and the deal they are given at the time of needing new cars.

I will steer clear of MG's then. They seem to be keeping there value well, so thought they must be good cars with a good spares back up. Obviously not.