Rear Window on 300

Stephen337

Hi,

My rear window got smashed last week by a flying stone, anyway had it replaced by AutoGlass (vis Insurance) on Saturday and thought no more about it.

However today had to use the rear wiper on my way into work and it missed the top part of the screen. On further investigation I see that the glass is slightly bowed outwards in the middle of the window.

Im sure that the last window, the original one, was dead flat.

Can anyone confirm this for me?

Ta

Stephen

Its a 1995 300 one BTW.

Check the rubber window seal for a 'drag' mark where the wiper blade is hitting it (it'll show up as darker, in reality, clean arc shaped patch on the rubber seal) - this forces it off the screen at the top. Mine does it even with the correct length blade on it - put mine down to play in the spindle bearing as its quite sloppy.....

Before buying a new wiper try to adjust the wiper arm or blade support.

Start the rear wiper and stop it right at the point where it doesn't wipe as it should (ignition off or open rear door while the wiper is traveling). Then try to figure out what's the reason the blade doesn't make contact on its entire length. Most likely you can sort it out by bending the wiper arm a little bit.

I know you've probably got your answer now but I've just been and checked my Disco 1 300 tdi and it does indeed have a consistent gentle curve.

Well there now! - Good question. :P

Never had problems of a good clear screen wipe this end but I do make a point of changing all 3 wipers each year. I'd concur with the suggestion to get new ones. B)

If the wiper arm was accidentally bent while replacing the window you can buy 1 million wipers, none of them will work right.

If you accidentally lean on the wiper (like if you need to regain your balance), the wiper arm will bend and the result will be the wiper's support (body/structure) will interfere with the arm when the arm is nearly vertical (the wiper won't be able to pivot as much as it needs to in order to follow the window's curvature).

So, the proper way to do it is I said previously. Check why the wiper doesn't touch the window at the top, what keeps the blade away from the window at the top, see if the wiper can pivot more than it needs at the top and check if it interferes with the arm. See if you can solve the problem by bending the arm a little bit (towards the window).

After, and only after, you make sure the blade touches the window all the way everywhere is supposed to, you can asses if you need a new wiper or not judging by the way it wipes.

Trust me, I've been through this numerous times before.