TD5 Loss of Power then cuts out

ColinR

I recently got a 52 Discovery, shortly after getting it I had noticed a leak from the fuel pressure regulator, organised for it to be fixed under the warranty. This took a few days to get into the garage to get done so carried on using it as the leak wasn't to bad. Anyway was out in the vehicle and had lifted of the accelerator as was coming to a junction and as i approached the junction the vehicle started to die and then cut out.

I had a look to see if the leak was worse and it was just the same, after a couple of minutes it restarted ok and drove fine.

Cut out again on the way to get FPR changed this time there was a load of black smoke. switched off and checked with my nanacom to see what was showing and this was showing an intermittent short circuit on one of the injectors. I cleared the fault restarted and all okay.

Got the FPR Changed and returned home ok (40 mile drive) Next day drove it about 2miles and again as I lifted off the vehicle lost all power and cut out, lots of black smoke. It wouldn't restart this time. Had a look on nancom and it showed an intermittent short on the turbo waste gate valve, cleared the fault and it started up okay, drove home.

Having had two different faults on the Nanocom thought i would check the plugs on the ecu(despite the garage having had a new injector wiring loom fitted) sure enough there was oil on the red plug. Cleaned this out and then checked ecu this was okay.

Went for a test drive and within a mile it lost all power and cut out lots of black smoke. Switched of, restarted after a few minutes went a hundred yards and it cut out again, more black smoke.

Only common factor I can see is that it cuts out when I lift off the accelerator, Anyone shed any light on what could be wrong, been suggested its the fuel pump others say it could be the injector seals?

It would be worth checking the EGR system as that tends to open the valve when you lift off the accelerator so if it is sticking then it might cause lots of black smoke but I've never seen an engine actually stop because of it.

Fuel pressure can be checked by plumbing in a pressure gauge where the fuel temp sender goes in, the pressure should be 4 bar/58psi.

Another thing I wonder is whether a dud crankshaft sensor could cause the problem as if the engine loses the crank signal it can't figure out when to inject the fuel which could cause a cut out but not really seen that happen.

The only other thing I can think of that I have seen cause total cutout is the ECU.

Probably not much help but let us know if you find the problem for future reference!

Cheers Bogmonster for the reply.

****Update:

Now changed both the fuel pump and the turbo wastegate modulator.

Took it for a test drive and the problem still occurs, checked on the nanacom and it showed 01-05 turbocharger wastegate short circuit CURRENT. I have checked the wiring for damge and not seen anything that would relate to this.

No warning lights come up on the dash and the above is the only fault that shows on the nanocom.

Anyone had a simliar problem or suggestions as to cause?

• 3 months later...

Just trying to pick the bones of this one-for future reference.

It would seem that oil on the red plug has indicated a circuit fault in the injector area.

The delaminated hose has indicated a circuit fault in the waste gate area.

Seems quite logical- after the event.

Bogmonster, Would you expect a delaminated hose to also show up in live data-i.e. lower than expected MAP readings

Don't think I have ever seen a Td5 with a collapsed hose - just loads of 300s - so I'm not sure. However low airflow/pressure doesn't usually register a fault code - a dud AFM won't trigger a fault code if the AFM is just under-reading (as a lot of them do when they fail) - the power output will just be way down.

Don't think I have ever seen a Td5 with a collapsed hose - just loads of 300s - so I'm not sure. However low airflow/pressure doesn't usually register a fault code - a dud AFM won't trigger a fault code if the AFM is just under-reading (as a lot of them do when they fail) - the power output will just be way down.

So maybe this is a yes. Accepting that that low MAP and/or MAF readings will not show up as a fault, it is likely that a delaminated turbo pipe will show unusual readings on live data. Sorry- that's a question!

• 6 months later...

Please help something like this problem is on a Td5 Disco of my friend.

But he has an fuel leak from presure regulator (doesnt have smoke) engine starts and works for 10-15 minutes then when trying to start once more it doesnt start and just after a lot of cranking it starts works fine for 1km and cuts off again. I whant to mention theat he has changed the entire housing with fuel return pipe but he didnt replaced the metal gasket (he used special silikon).He also changed the fuel pump.diagnostic doesnt show problems.

What can it be please help ...

NO, it means BMW said it's ok to continue the project on the Td5 cylinder diesel as BMW didn't have any other engine to replace it with.

From what I know, BMW helped with the (early) manufacturing of the Td5 crankshaft as they had a factory better equipped for this - and that's about all the BMW contribution to the Td5 project.

BMW didn't ever make a 5 cylinder diesel engine, so the Td5 can't possibily be a BMW engine in the first place.

They only made 4, 6 and V8 diesel engines, see List of BMW engines.

See this article for the rest of the Td5 engine story.

Land Rovers with BMW engines:

- Freelander TD4 (2001-2006) which has a 4 cyl 2.0 diesel M47 engine.

- RR MK II (P38) with the 6 cyl 2.5 diesel M51 engine

- RR Mk III with the V8 4.4 petrol M62

NO, it means BMW said it's ok to continue the project on the Td5 cylinder diesel as BMW didn't have any other engine to replace it with.

From what I know, BMW helped with the (early) manufacturing of the Td5 crankshaft as they had a factory better equipped for this - and that's about all the BMW contribution to the Td5 project.

BMW didn't ever make a 5 cylinder diesel engine, so the Td5 can't possibily be a BMW engine in the first place.

They only made 4, 6 and V8 diesel engines, see List of BMW engines.

See this article for the rest of the Td5 engine story.

Land Rovers with BMW engines:

- Freelander TD4 (2001-2006) which has a 4 cyl 2.0 diesel M47 engine.

- RR MK II (P38) with the 6 cyl 2.5 diesel M51 engine

- RR Mk III with the V8 4.4 petrol M62

Very useful as allways-Thanks very much.

But what do you think about the problem of my friend's Disco ?

Already told you what I think in post #12.

If the engine (more or less) starts on cold, looses power or stops when approaching operating temperature and it can't be restarted or restarts after one or more bleeding procedures then runs briefly and stops again, if all ok with the fuel pump and the fuel pressure regulator then the next thing to try is to replace the injector copper washers.

One or more washers can seal satisfactory when engine is cold but when the engine gets heated up, allows compression to past into the fuel rail which will manifest as the fuel system has 'air' in it.

• 12 years later...

I have same problem 12years after your post, i read a lot forums and I'm desperate now, nobady at the end goes back to forum and write his solution, I was replace buck of parts and I steel have cut out uphil, Disco 2 TD5.

Edited by MONTENEGRO
Write mistake