Fitting Range Rover wheels

africanpete

Hi

Just bought myself a nice set of 18" RR (L322) alloy wheels.

Got the wheel nuts as well, just wanted to know if it is neccessary to use those spigot rings people are selling on Ebay? I thought that the wheels were located onto the hub by the wheel nuts, am I wrong?

I've seen lots of different types of wheels including steel wheels that don't fit "snuggley" over the hub and are just located by the nuts

Any advice or experiences you've had would be appreciated.

Cheers

Pete

What spigot rings? Link?

On which series Discovery you want to fit the new rims?

Yes, the wheel is located by the wheel nut/bolts.

The snug fit (which is not so snug) over the hub is only to roughly center the wheel on the hub in order to help you screw in the bolts in (or fit the wheel on the studs). Once the nuts/bolts are tighten the wheel doesn't touch the hub center.

Hi Pete. Silly question but have you offered them up yet? I bought a nice set of Rangy wheels (P38) for my Disco a while back and when I got home home they didn't fit. The bolts didn't line up!! Brighton to Birmingham is a long way to go to get some expensive part worn tires.......

Thanks for the replies, I should of mentioned that I wanted to fit them to a D2

Cipx2 - See links, I agree with you, I think these might just be a gimmick?

Allegedly - Sorry to hear that, I knew these would fit, have seen them on other D2's.

Freeagent - Yes that is well known, should of mentioned what vehicle they were being fitted to in my 1st post.

The wheels are now fitted and as it turned out they already had these little reducer rings (alloy version) in them, Have just fitted them like that for the time being, when i refurb the wheels I will have a good look to see if they actually do anything, doubt it though.

Thanks again

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Set-4-Spigot-Locatio...%3A1|240%3A1318

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SPIGOT-RINGS-locatio...%3A1|240%3A1318

Just to let you guys know that for fitting RR, D3 wheels to a D2/ P38, the reducer rings are required.

Had a good look at them today and the nuts are not the same as most common nuts i.e. tapered so that when nuts are tightened the wheel is located and centered, these nuts have a square edge to the tip rather than a taper and they are slightly smaller in diameter than the hole in the wheel, about 1.5mm smaller.

SO, I think if you were to run these wheels without the rings, it could be disasterous as there would be no way of centering the wheel on the hub and the movement in the wheel would eventually loosen a/the nuts or even damage the wheel itself as it begins to move around on the nuts.

Pics to follow

Peter