RIBs

BogMonster

Stephen,

Have a look at Coastal Voyager for a few good recommendations. We have been out on that boat with Marcus the owner and Steve, the second driver many times.

Both are very experienced mariners (and active with the local lifeboat) and can handle the machine brilliantly... It easily outpaces all of the local craft, including the lifeboats and is very stable and manoevarable.

For engines though, Marcus did have a lot of problems with the Mercurys and when we last saw him, he had had to buy a third to try and avoid downtime but still had a couple of days when the boat could not go because more than one engine was sick :o

The fuel consumption was unbelievably horrific :o:o Make the Rangie look economic :ph34r: .

Colour coded boat eh? - very flash Andy :D

Steven.

For what its worth.

I was a commercial fisherman on South Africa's south coast between Port Elizabeth and Cape Town for 10 years between 1984 to 1994. Before I bought a 45 ft cat with twin Perkins Diesel engines we tended to use 25 ft cats (glass fibre double hulled) fitted with x 2 Yamaha 90hp 2 stroke outboards and 8 crew, engines got bigger as new models became avaliable I recall seeing 225 hp on the back of some boats before I left. Anyway weather conditions generally had to be bad for us to catch the squid....typically on calm days nothing happened.

As the weather tended to be so bad, the boats got really hammered and the Yamaha's got it worse..however, the Yamaha's were the ONLY engine that could take the punishment, most others failed, with approx 200 boats in the fleet at that time, 99% used Yamaha.

The boats had planing hulls with wind tunnels and were capable of 25 - 35 knots with a lot of gear - plus about 300 litres of fuel on board in plastic 5 gallon tanks.

Just one word of warning, Series vehicles may bounce you along but...nothing is more uncomfortable than a small planing hull going 25 knots into a headlong gale. Get to the back and keep standing otherwise you will look like a vervet monkey eating pea NUTS. ha ha.

TJ101 very very nice can I have it please B)

Looking at something else at the moment, an all fibreglass boat, 5.8m with an Evinrude 140 on the back, went out for a quick blast in it last night and it'll do about 40 with two not exactly lightweight people in, a little faster with only one in apparently, the owner had it up to nearer 50 after he offloaded me he said (cheeky bugger!) but at just under 40 it was quite "slappy" even over pretty small waves. Not sure how old it is but estimate probably somewhere between 10 and 15 years. Anybody like to PM me with what they think would be a reasonable price for something like that? complete with home-made trailer, small aux engine (4hp I think) and some other bits and bobs, anchors etc, instruments giving speed/depth/distance. I know what he wants for it but I just want to know what others with more experience would pay for something that age and size.

My other option which might be available locally is a 5.8m RIB with a 115hp Johnson outboard but it's only a couple of years old I think and I think the guy is going to want too much for it (for my budget anyway) though I haven't spoken to him first hand yet.

Really a question of whether it is more economical to get something here that I can see, or get one in the UK and ship down (shipping cost ~£1000 minimum) and not know anything about it.

Thanks

Edited to say anybody got any comments on the pros and cons of an all fibreglass hull vs a RIB....?

Edited by BogMonster

Yeah the price guide is for the fibreglass one, I've already got a fair idea of the RIB that's available, its a reasonable price for what it is just more than I am looking to spend!

Fg ones seem to go from next to nothing to a hell of a lot, which confuses me a bit!

Thanks - I'll have a better look at RIBnet over the weekend

cheers :)