Problems with 235/85 16

TheSaint

Hi!

I wonder if there are any problems with fitting 235/85 16 tyres on a Discovery? Can you drive with these tyres without destroying gearbox/transerbox or any axles? I plan an overland trip and want increased hight and a tyre size thats common.

But is there any disadvantage with this dimension? (execpt some minor trimming and bump stop adjusting)

Thank you in advance!

Fredrik

Sweden

What do you mean by "It did change the gearing slightly but no real problems"

or it "don't upset the gearing too much"

Can I harm the gearbox?

The second alternative is 245/75 16 but it would be great to have 235/85 because its a common dimension.

235/85/16 is fine on standard LR drivetrain -it's what the defenders run as stock (or equivalent) when on steel wheels.

Yes gearing is affected, you'll find yourself dropping a gear more often, but you won't break anything by doing so.

Only in high range. low range ratio is the same for the defender and discovery, so off road the gearing will be the same as a standard defender.

On road I found the gearing a little too high with 32" diameter tyres on my range rover, but it was acceptable. I haven't tried towing or heavy loads with tyres that big though. I suspect hill startswithit fully loaded may be where you notice the increased size first, but then if the hill is that steep you could always select low box to get past the steap section.

Thank you all!

So if I understand it right, there is no problem, execpt that you loose acc and meaby have to change gear more often?

But gearbox and transfer should be fine!

But how about driving in sand, I have read that you need good acc to get out of the deep sand, anyone how have give it a try?

Thank you all!

So if I understand it right, there is no problem, execpt that you loose acc and meaby have to change gear more often?

But gearbox and transfer should be fine!

But how about driving in sand, I have read that you need good acc to get out of the deep sand, anyone how have give it a try?

The bigger tyre will be excellent in sand. I run 265/75 16's on my Disco 2 . Any acceleration loss is more than compensated for by extra tyre flotation in sand. In any case ,select the right gear and acceleration is not impaired. Just learn to drive a little differently. The gearing effect is definitely there - not all bad news though. Towing ability , in my opinion , actually improves : It is a good idea to spend a lot of time in 4th gear rather than 5 th when towing (to protect the gearbox). With the bigger tyres the car will be happier in 4 th in any case .

The combination of larger tyres and suspension lift (I have OME on my D2 - extra 2 " lift) will put extra strain on the Rotoflex coupling on the Disco. Best carry a spare coupling , or convert it to a U joint as I did ,after I damaged my 3 rd Rotoflex in 5000 km.

Cheers Dave