Fitting a new wing aerial

freeagent

I need to replace the aerial on the front wing of my Disco 300Tdi... It looks like I need to remove the inner wing, which is held on with some sort of rivets?

Can i replace these with either pop rivets or Rivnuts? as I have hundreds of both?

Is this a reasonably easy job to complete? or a nightmare...

Stick a coat hanger on it.

if you insist on doing it properly though, you need to bend the plastic mudshield out the way (remove the silly plastic rivets), and you should just about be able to get an arm up the inside of the wing. Fairly easy job after that as I remember it.

:)

Thanks, not sure i like the coathanger look so will try to do it properly...

....and as someone smashed my window and nicked my radio last week I thought this would be an excellent oportunity to sort things out correctly...

Those plastic fasteners are removable quite ok. I used a pair of wire stripping pliers (pincers type) & got the tips under the head & pulled them out. Don't squeeze too hard or else....................................... :rolleyes:

If care is taken getting them out, they can be reused ok.

Wheel off is better.

Thanks, not sure i like the coathanger look so will try to do it properly...

....and as someone smashed my window and nicked my radio last week I thought this would be an excellent oportunity to sort things out correctly...

buggers! Hope it hasn't done too much damage - did you get it done on insurance or have you had to put a new door glass in yourself? - I hate messing about with window channels. That glass gets everywhere as well, you'll be picking bits of that out for months.

:(

Yes they did do lots of damage, the electric window mechanism is bent and needs replacing, and I think they removed the radio with a crowbar :angry:

Plus they nicked my new CB :angry:

we also has to strip down the babys seat as it was covered in broken glass... I'm just glad they didn't trash it as it cost about twice the radio + CB together!!

I did get the window replaced on insurance (£25 excess, not worth doing it yourself)

To say I was angry is an understatement. :angry: