dump valves

rusty_wingnut

A dump valve throws away your boost to avoid surge when your massflow requirement changes suddenly - eg snapping the throttle shut on a petrol engine. They're not normally useful on a diesel because the massflow doesn't change so quickly - no throttle butterfly. However, I have a surge 'feature' on my VGTdi when coming quickly off the throttle because the vanes can't respond quickly enough to this pressure change and it surges momentarily. However, because I haven't got the calibration sorted yet it surges under load too :o

Your valve sounds like a bleed valve - when the manifold is at 1 bar and the wastegate would normally open, the wastegate only sees 0.5 bar and stays shut to build more boost. If you're throwing it away, I'll have it!

A 300Tdi should already see 1 bar at the turbo - you can ensure this is 1 bar at the manifold by piping the wastegate to the back of the manifold rather than direct from the turbo outlet. If you want more pressure you can also adjust the spring pressure on the turbo diaphragm - just wind out the adjuster nut by 2 turns or so to run more boost but be VERY careful to keep pressures and particularly your EGT at a sensible level, however you do it.

I've plumbed a boost gauge off the back of the inlet manifold and am getting around 0.8- 0.9bar so about right accounting for losses in the intercooler and hoses.

To be honest I am loathed to go messing with it, the engine runs so well since i rebuilt it, and it produces no smoke whatsoever. My local garage (AJS who MOT'd it) couldn't believe how well the engine went.

A wastegate can also be used on large (I mean 100,000 hp large) marine diesels to dump boost when slowing down. As the exhaust pressure decreases, the turbo starts to spin down, and there is a moment when the pressure in the inlet manifold is greater than at the turbo - it is entirely possible for gas to exit the turbo backwards - and apparently you don't want to be next to it when it happens...

Entirely unconnected to LR diesels of course! But I thought it might interest someone as we are on the topic of wastegates...

I had a look at my BMW Diesel car the other day and it seems to have a valve that puts excess inlet manifold pressure into the exhaust just in front of the Turbo so I assumed that it would keep it spinning when on a trailing throttle??

Marc.