Defender suitable??

As stated I am currently on the hunt for a new land rover. I currently have a 300tdi disco and am looking for something newer. I am considering a td5 90, What are they like to live with on a daily basis? I primarily need something to tow large boat trailers around the country, shunt heavy trailers around in fields and be able to take a reasonable amount of kit in the back

Are the heaters any better than the older ones (I had a 200tdi 90 which had a very poor heater). Would i be able to get a half decent one for around 8k?

Cheers for looking

Paul

As stated I am currently on the hunt for a new land rover. I currently have a 300tdi disco and am looking for something newer. I am considering a td5 90, What are they like to live with on a daily basis? I primarily need something to tow large boat trailers around the country, shunt heavy trailers around in fields and be able to take a reasonable amount of kit in the back

Are the heaters any better than the older ones (I had a 200tdi 90 which had a very poor heater). Would i be able to get a half decent one for around 8k?

Cheers for looking

Paul

You would get a good one for that money.I have a 1999 110 but the heater is a bit of a joke if you dont mind been cold, not so funny if you do. Apart from that its a great landrover. A 90 is not so good at towing the long wheel base of the 110 is much better and the load space is far better

TD5 is great for towing however you need to consider several things.

The gearing on a defender is lower than a disco, (disco has 1.22 t-box and defender has 1.4) this may be good or bad depending on the weight/distance/roads you travel.

A 110 is probably more suited to heavy towing as its a more stable platform than a 90, although it will do a good job i'd be inclinded to conisder the longer wheelbase for better stability.

Heaters are not particually great on TD5's, they work but its still a landrover heater. Seats are comfortable and heated ones are great, soundproofing isnt super but i did 20K/yr on motorways and 6K offroad in mine every year and it was good and comfortable. People complain about lack of elbow room and i have no idea what the problem is, i'm 6'1" with long arms and never had a problem!

8K - small budget, you can get one but itll be an earlyish one so watch out for the usual problems with oil in loom and such likes but generally they are very reliable engines.

Have you considered a TD5 disco instead?

Edited by smo

I'd also be more inclined towards 110, certainly plenty more room in the back for 'stuff'. The only times have had an unstable tow were both with SWB Land Rovers. Only recently got my 110, but seems very stable.

Cheers

David

As above really, the Td5 is a good engine and probably more reliable than many LR purists would like to admit, "All that electrickery, bound to fail".

I've had mine for about 4 years now and never really had any reliability issues until recently and in fairness, the problems I've had have been pretty much self inflicted through over abuse and neglect.

In terms of power, with a straight through centre replacement pipe on the exhaust and chipped / re-mapped ECU the performance can be on a par with a 3.5 V8 but without all the fuel cost.

I find the heater in mine is not too bad; it's up to temp within about 2 miles of driving and gives enough heat for reasonable comfort - in the front anyway.

If you were to go for a 2002 or later car, the interior is better too with alarm/immobiliser, central locking and electric windows on the options list. On the downside here though, the road tax rate increases from mid 2001.