Generator help needed

chrism

Hi guys

Im looking for a diesel generator at the moment to power a bridgeport miller, and hopefully in the future a tig welder, probably the biggest tig i would get would be a 250-300amp machine. Does anyone know what sort of kVA i need for this?

Im looking for a trailer mounted one so it will have other uses and preferably a used one with a couple hundred hours on the clock. Does anyone know where a good place to start looking is, bar ebay as i have been looking on there but want to consider other options

Thanks

Chris

How much do you want to spend?

I would consider an ex-mod set from withams or the-exmod 15-26kva should do it. depending on if you want to run one or both

or if you are feeling flush buy new :o

Kippor or Pramac as budget sets.

You need to be careful with generators and welders. I know nothing about it, but I've heard they can be fussy.

Requirements for a 300A tig vary depending on the machine, but as a guide here is a table from one of my tig manuals:

post-139-1238591490_thumb.jpg

Obviously you're looking at the '300' models, depending on the age of the machine, I'd suggest the ratings for 'with PFC' would better reflect the demands of a modern unit.

Hope it helps, Al.

:)

Cheers guys, so i think i would get away with a 30-40kVa genny

As far as how much i can spend... i will pay the right money for the right machine! Budget ones are banned and a yanmar/kubota engine preferably

There is a couple on ebay i have my eye on so will see what they make

Hi guys

Im looking for a diesel generator at the moment to power a bridgeport miller, and hopefully in the future a tig welder, probably the biggest tig i would get would be a 250-300amp machine. Does anyone know what sort of kVA i need for this?

Im looking for a trailer mounted one so it will have other uses and preferably a used one with a couple hundred hours on the clock. Does anyone know where a good place to start looking is, bar ebay as i have been looking on there but want to consider other options

Thanks

Chris

Does your miller need 3 phase power? Are you going to buy a 3 phase welder? If you are going to be welding ally with tig then you will need an ac/dc welder, if not or you are only going to tig stainless then you can use a much smaller machine at a fraction of the cost. There are small machines on the market that will run on 220 or 110 that will do tig and arc.

Big G

Yes the miller is 3phase and i am wanting to weld ally, it seems a lot easier and cheaper to pick up machines second hand on 3phase anyway

Mosa do a gen set you can tow along with you, reasonably quiet to if your worried about the noise pollution and it would run a welder as it has 3 phase ,220 & 110 power outlets. Generally they are a dark red/wine colur machine.

G.