overdrive problem

Hi all.

I have a bit of problem with my overdrive at the minute. When I start the car I get a steady red light from the led on the gear stick for about 0.5 - 1 second then when driving and switching the overdrive on there is nothing the led stays out also when i try switching at low speed nothing either. I have had a look around and all the wires look ok.

Any ideas or pointers to where i should check?

Cheers

Hi all.

I have a bit of problem with my overdrive at the minute. When I start the car I get a steady red light from the led on the gear stick for about 0.5 - 1 second then when driving and switching the overdrive on there is nothing the led stays out also when i try switching at low speed nothing either. I have had a look around and all the wires look ok.

Any ideas or pointers to where i should check?

Cheers

Check the connections in the top of the gear knob. Check the earths there are two and probably check where the power supply is connected. There is a fused wire from that. Other than that, Devon 4x4 are very helpful. The light may be an error code that they will know.

Mines in bits at the moment - goes back together on Saturday hopefully!

When I start the car I get a steady red light from the led on the gear stick for about 0.5 - 1 second

that is normal operation for electrical circuit check when starting the engine.

then when driving and switching the overdrive on there is nothing the led stays out

again normal operation

also when i try switching at low speed nothing either.

not normal the led should flash & control box has latched out the OD.

possibly a solenoid or speed sensor fault.

that is normal operation for electrical circuit check when starting the engine.

again normal operation

not normal the led should flash & control box has latched out the OD.

possibly a solenoid or speed sensor fault.

Doh. I ought to know that! Yep as Ralph says, the lights are normal for the first two points, should flash if you try to engage under 30. Are the solenoid connections OK?

turned out something as simple as a dodgy switch. shame it was the last place i looked but all is well now.

Was it the one on the gearstick?

Mine went back on the landy today afer a complete strip down - seems to work ok at the moment with no leaks yet (don;t wish to speak too soon!)

yep it was on the gear stick, a little poke with multi meter showed the switch was not working correctly, after a big search in my bucket of odds n sods bucket i found a new one and replaced it