R380 Gearbox manual

Hi everyone,

Got to the bottom of my backlash problem, splines between 2nd motion shaft and transfer box are buggered within 1mm of failing, slightly frustrating as g/box replaced and transfer box rebuilt 10 years ago with what I was told was the replacement hardened gear with oil way :angry: . Can sort the transfer box from my manual but don't have section of manual for R380. Has anybody got this electronically and does anyone have experience of doing it - in particular can it be done without all the L/R jigs and tools.

Ta

Rob

Has anybody got this electronically and does anyone have experience of doing it - in particular can it be done without all the L/R jigs and tools.

Yes I have done this - not very difficult juast a bit fiddly - The only special tool I made was one for tightening the nut on the rear end of the shaft - if I recall the gear needed to be held whilst tightening the nut to a fairly high torque and I made a tool which fitted into the holes in the gear and allowed the nut to be tightened. But it was not very sophisticated!!

thanks for your help guys, am currently contemplating whether I need the hassle of rebuilding the R380 or talk to a very nice man from Ashcrofts. The LT230 is about the only orignal bit of the old vehicle left and it would almost be a shame to loose it completely.

Rob