whats this on my engine?

driftanimal

hi guys hope this looked an easy enough question to answer...

i have had an oil leak for some time now and is getting worse and worse now ..... i think i have narrowed it down to (sorry for explanation of bit here)

as you look at the engine from front....

left hand side , bottom of engine block, there is a plasticbox type thing that is pop rivited together, it bolts directly on to the block with several hoses attached going in all sorts of directions...

it would seem the pop rivits are no longer doing the job and oil is seeping out of the middle of the plastic bit.. my suspicions are its the engine block breather of somesort, but not sure as 1 of the pipes seems to lead to brake servo????

any help of diagrams, what it is and does and possibly where i can obtain maybe a new one would be great!!!

thanks in advance all

Assuming its a 300Tdi (we like guessing these things ;) ) and its near the back of the engine, its the vacuum pump for the brake servo. Oil leaks are usually a bad sign so get yourself a new one or one day you will find yourself standing on the pedal trying to stop in a hurry!

Assuming its a 300Tdi (we like guessing these things ;) ) and its near the back of the engine, its the vacuum pump for the brake servo. Oil leaks are usually a bad sign so get yourself a new one or one day you will find yourself standing on the pedal trying to stop in a hurry!

hi yeah sorry its a 300tdi ....

is it best to repair as some say or simply buy a new one??

is it an easy job / hard job / on the drive job??

many thanks

Assuming its a 300Tdi (we like guessing these things) and its near the back of the engine, its the vacuum pump for the brake servo.

My thoughts exactly, I had the same on my old 300tdi disco, replaced the pump - stopped the leak and got rid of the clattering noise at the same time. (Turned out the old pump had a broken plunger return spring as well as the leak.)

is it best to repair as some say or simply buy a new one??

is it an easy job / hard job / on the drive job??

It can be repaired if it's only leaking, might be more economical to replace it though if it's very tired.

To repair it you need to remove it , drill out the rivets on the back and replace them with M5 bolts & nuts (pref Nylocks.)

Simple enough job to remove - refit / replace, just remove 6 bolts and a couple of pipes, did mine on the drive in about half an hour.

It is preferable to get the engine to TDC before commencing, I found it's not essential but it makes it easier to get it back in because the pump plunger sits in a lobe on the camshaft which is at its lowest point at TDC.