Clutch Problems

phil200tdi

Hi All

Have a bit of a problem with the clutch on my 200tdi disco. The pedal has now gone floppy with nearly no resistance for all but the last 3 inches of travel. The clutch is not engaging and hence I am unable to get it into gear/move it to a garage... I can't see any sign of clutch fluid on the floor under the pedal.

Any ideas what might be causing this? Has had a new clutch fitted about 5000 miles ago so hopefully not a new clutch job..

Does this sound like a master cylinder/slave cylinder problem? Or something simple to fix?

cheers

Phil

use the search for yourself but......fork?

Thanks Tony but I did do the search prior to posting. I also checked in the Haynes manual which gives 4 possible causes:

1) Leak in Clutch Hydraulic System

2) Faulty Master/Slave Cylinder

3) Broken Clutch Release Bearing or fork

4) Broken diaphragm spring in clutch pressure plate.

As there is no feeling of solidity to the pedal as the above link suggests, I thought I would explore the other options before committing to have the engine/gearbox out.. especially if it is something I can do myself. I will be well Mildly miffed off if it is the fork as when my mechanic put in the new clutch I asked that he strengthen the new fork as described by Les Henson in his tech article. I put in a new fork and 'Borg and Beck' clutch kit bought from Ashcrofts.

Would the fork breaking cause any damage to the clutch itself? IS there a way of checking this without splitting the engine from the box?

cheers

Phil

If the fork goes the pedal usually goes solid IIRC.

Master cylinder internal seals would be my guess, if you don't have any puddles under the vehicle. When you say the clutch is not engaging do you mean it is not disengaging? In other words have you no drive even in gear (not engaging), or could you start it in gear and it would drive but you can't select a gear with the engine running (not disengaging)?

If the fork goes the pedal usually goes solid IIRC.

Master cylinder internal seals would be my guess, if you don't have any puddles under the vehicle. When you say the clutch is not engaging do you mean it is not disengaging? In other words have you no drive even in gear (not engaging), or could you start it in gear and it would drive but you can't select a gear with the engine running (not disengaging)?

Cheers Bogmonster. yep not disengaging i.e. will start fine as if in neutral but can't select a gear (crunching noise). To be honest I didn't try starting in gear. If it is the master cylinder, am I best to replace the slave (and visa versa) at the same time? also do i need to avoid the britpart/paddocks non genuine parts?

Cheers

Phil

If the seals in one end go - and the fluid is dirty looking - then I usually reckon it is best to do both and fill the whole lot up with fresh fluid so you can forget about it for a while. Anything else is half a job IMHO, but half a job is what most people do. You pays your money etc...