how many miles is too many on td5

pinhead

now then im new to the forum because i am looking to buy a disco not had a landy for 10 years

my question is this how many miles is too many on a td5

reason why my mate has one for sale and i know it is good, he's a mechanic and looked after it well he bought with 140k on and it now has 170k ish

i am guessing that at these miles the head will have been done and the plastic dowels replaced

its a manuel how long before these give trouble or is it all down to abuse and they can go on forever if treated good

i need the discovery for towing my boat back from portugal so it has to be reliable ish as getting things done there can take an awfull long time

i have read through most of this forum before i joined up and am aware of a lot of the common isues now like

injector loom

leaking air bags

fuel presure reg leaking

in tank fuel pump

and the head gasket at 80k early models

all thoughts or info welcome

thanks in advance

andy

Can't vouch for the TD5 but my 300 TDI has done 315,000km & purrs like a kitten (albiet a grumpy one).

My last big trip was 3500km and ran like a dream the whole way. 140,000km's just run in if its been looked after. :lol:

thanks for that info

i know the tdi's are suposed to be long lasting and many on here say they are good for 300,000 miles if looked after

but i was unable to find any thing about the td5

i like the forward facing rear seats, quieter running of a td5 and the fact that the series 2 dont seem to rot as bad

just if folk on here thought it may be a bit long in the tooth i would take my chances on the bay and find somthing with less miles on

andy

and the fact that the series 2 dont seem to rot as bad

andy

are you sure on that one chap???

i seem to remember reading about how early disco 2,s didnt get any body underseal (or very little) so rust worse in many cases

as for the td5 if your suddenly going to start straining it towing a large boat i would start with a lower mile/fresher version for the job??

rob

It's a bit like most things.. brand new would be good, a low milage well loked after would be nearly as good. A high milage well looked after may be ok, and an average milage not so well looked after may also be ok. So really these things always come down to money. If it drives absolutely flawlessly then it may be fine. For how long depends on how you look after it and how well you maintain it.

My early (1999) Td5 Disco now has 137,000 miles on it. I've owned it from about 100,000 and have used it off road, towing up to 4000kg, you name it! It's never let me down and the only non-servicing parts have been an antiroll bar link, the water pump and an ACE pump that I got hooked on a tree off-road.

A mate drove it the other day a couldn't believe the mileage was that high as he said it felt like his 40K BMW to drive.

Mine's a 5 seat GS, which is the highest trim spec without air spension, so I can't comment on that.

I'd say:

Don't worry about buying an early one - any problems will be sorted by now

Look for one with full dealer/specailist service history, that's much more important than mileage

Don't worry about a tatty body, most people will be looking for a nicely presented one, while what really matters is the mechanics.

And finally,

Definately buy a Td5 rather than a Tdi, the difference in the way they drive is huge. Late Tdis are good, but Td5s are way better.