Coolant pressure when cold

500bhp

Well letting my thoughts run wild here since I have never heard of this before...

The cap will retain a certain amount of pressure, but since it was at atmospheric when last filled/checked any pressure when hot is normally the result of heat expansion of water in the system, and any such pressure would naturally disappear when the temperature returns to normal and the fact that your doesn't means that there is something additional getting into the system from somewhere which is not able to escape through the same route later.

Usual suspects are cylinder/exhaust gas, but they normally leak out again when the engine is switched off – obviously this is not happening in your case. The reason for this unusual behavior is open to speculation*, but the base reason for the problem I would suggest is the same as it would be if we were just considering over-pressurisation: head gasket, warped head, cracked head, cracked block etc and in my humble opinion, that is where you should be looking

Hope this helps a bit :)

Roger

* I am imagining perhaps a bit of gasket that is free to move (like a hanging chad) and is acting as a little flap-valve...

It's a new one on me too.

Have to agree that the extra pressure is coming from somewhere.

Saving grace for the moment is that it can't be too big a leak or it would release the pressure when the engine cools.

I think it is a waiting game but if you really feel you must do something then perhaps a run round the head bolts with a torque wrench may nip a problem in the bud.

Steve

The reason I am a little confused is the hand book says to check levels only when cold, and to remove the cap slowly to let pressure escape, making me think it should be under pressure when cold.

Below is the excert in the user manual.

NEVER remove the filler cap when the

engine is hot; escaping steam or scalding

water could cause serious personal injury.

The coolant level in the expansion tank

should be checked at least weekly (more

often in high mileage or arduous operating

conditions). Always check the level WHEN

THE SYSTEM IS COLD.

Unscrew the filler cap slowly, allowing the

air pressure to escape, before removing

completely.

Maybe someone with a P38 2.5 could check their cap for me, when cold.